February 19, 2014 at 9:58 AM
Children need special footwear because their feet are fundamentally different from adult feet. Children feet are in a constant process of growth and solidifying formation. Also, children's feet are subject to enormously greater traumatic stress. It is crucial for parents to recognize the effect that proper footwear can have during these important development years.
- It takes nearly 19 years for a child's foot to develop
- In the first 10 years a child's foot will grow total of 6 inches (about 1.5 times ) the size their feet at birth.
- A child's foot is subject to much greater stresses than an adult's foot due to gait patterns that include lifts, plants, runs, stomps, slides, skids, kicks, twists, and sudden stops.
- A baby's foot grows faster during their first 3 years of life than at any other time in their lives.
- 80% of foot growth takes place between the heel and ball of the foot.
- A baby's foot contains more cartridge than bone- it's more fragile than an adult foot.
- A baby's arch is not fully developed for the first 2 years of life. They don't require arch support until they are around 3-4 years old.
And remember Happy Feet, Happy Kids, Happy Parents!
The Guest Column is our readers' opportunity to write about a given issue or topic in an in-depth and educational manner.
The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TAPinto.net or anyone who works for TAPinto.net. TAPinto.net is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer.