Marking the start of the Lenten season, Ash Wednesday will be honored by Christian religions throughout the area. A start of the 40-day “liturgical period” designed for fasting and prayer, Ash Wednesday was designed, according to religious scripture, to remind worshipers that they too will return to dust and ash.
A placing of the ash on the forehead, often in the symbol of a cross, is done to both celebrate and remember human mortality prior to the season of reflection leading up to the Easter holiday, when Christians remember the rise of Jesus Christ from the dead.
To honor the mass of the holiday, many area churches will hold Ash Wednesday services on a special schedule. Below are those in and around Lower Providence Township, along with their scheduled times, to provide an easy reference for those wishing to practice their beliefs.
The following celebrations will be held on Wednesday, March 5:
· St. Teresa of Avila: 1260 S. Trooper Road, Norristown
Distribution of ashes masses:
· Visitation BVM: 196 N. Trooper Road, Norristown
Ash Wednesday mass schedule:
· LP Presbyterian Church: 3050 W. Ridge Pike, Norristown
Sacrificial Dinner and Worship Service
6:30 p.m., Williams Hall
· Victory Church: 2650 Audubon Road, Audubon
Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting
· Fairview Village Church: 3044 W. Germantown Pike, Eagleville
Ash Wednesday Service, youth pastors and band
7 p.m., Chambers Center
· VF United Methodist: 865 S. Main St., Phoenixville
Ash Wednesday Service with Pastor James Hallam
7:30 p.m., First United Methodist