Updated at 8:26 p.m.

WESTFIELD, NJ — It took crews just 18 minutes to knock down a two-alarm fire that started in the kitchen of a home on West Grove Street Saturday afternoon.

The owner suspects a microwave may have played a role in igniting the fire, and police do not believe that foul play was to blame.

Jeffrey Santos, a contractor who purchased the home at 453 West Grove Street earlier this week, told TAPinto Westfield nobody was inside when the fire ignited in the kitchen of the 2.5-story pink colonial.

“I bought it this week,” said Santos, a Cranford resident. “We’re going to refresh it. We’re going to fix it all up.”

Authorities arrived on the scene at 1:13 p.m. and had the fire extinguished by 1:31 p.m., police Chief Christopher Battiloro said.

“The fire does not appear to be suspicious,” Battiloro said. While the Westfield Volunteer Rescue Squad was on the scene, nobody was injured, he said.

Santos said he believes a short circuit — the result of the microwave’s removal — may have sparked the fire. Although as of Saturday night, authorities had not reported a specific cause.

Investigators from the Union County Police Department’s Fire Investigation Task Force were examining the structure and conducting interviews.

Firefighters set up a large fan in the front door to vent smoke from the residence.

Battiloro said firefighters had requested a second alarm when arriving at the scene, prompting a response from crews in Cranford, Plainfield and Springfield.

Florence Tam, who lives across the street, said she saw black smoke flowing from both the top floor and the side of the house. Tam, 51, said her dog had alerted her to the commotion.

Email Matt Kadosh at mkadosh@tapinto.net | Twitter: @MattKadosh

Read More Westfield NJ Local News

MORE: Union County Acting Prosecutor to Head Up NJ Criminal Division
MORE: Westfield Road Closures: Paving Could Begin Friday on Route 22 Access Point