BERKELEY HEIGHTS, NJ - For the first quarter of 2021 the Berkeley Heights Fire Department responded to 155 fires, emergencies, and calls for assistance.
Below are further details of some of the 155 incidents.
- A chimney fire on January 3rd in a home on Cambridge Drive, The fire was successfully extinguished with no extension into the home.
- A fire at Cornerstone Behavioral Health Hospital in a heating unit on January 5th. The patients were evacuated to another portion of Runnells that was not affected. New Providence, Chatham Township and Summit Fire Departments assisted.
- January 26th Fire Department units responded to another heating unit fire at Runnells Center. The fire was isolated to the heating unit.
- Rescue-1 responded to a house fire in Watchung that was reported to have trapped victims.
- On January 30th Rescue-1 and Engine-4 responded to a car accident on Park Ave that involved a person trapped in a car that rolled over. The driver was successfully rescued using extrication tools. The driver sustained minor injuries.
- On February 1st, Squad-2 responded to a pickup truck fire at Mountain Heights Center in Murray Hill. New Providence Fire Department assisted.
- On February 3rd Rescue-1, Tower-1 and Engine-4 responded to a home on Columbia Ave that had suffered structural damage due to a car striking the home. The home was evacuated and the car was removed from the structure without causing any further damage.
The remainder of the responses included seven natural gas leaks, 13 malicious false alarms at Runnells Center, six cover assignments providing coverage for neighboring Fire Departments that were committed to fires in their communities, six motor vehicle collisions, four electrical hazards and six water conditions.
In addition to the incidents, members conduct training and truck checks every Wednesday night and some weekends. Training events during Quarter 1 focused on: training on the new Tower 1, truck company operations, forcible entry, downed firefighter and victim packaging/removal, fire behavior and engine company operations. These training events totaled 247 hours during Quarter 1.
Interested in joining the volunteer fire department? call 908-464-0800 ext 13.