BERKELEY HEIGHTS, NJ - Just in time before the Berkeley Heights Playground Camp wrapped up another success season, the campers were educated on recycling thanks to Berkeley Heights Environmental Commission member Kim Diamond and Dr. Patrick Smith of Smith Chiropractic Foundation.

Recycling is not new to the campers -- they've been recycling paper, bottles and plastic bags all summer long. However, the campers learned more about recycling as it relates to cardboard.  

The campers called out what type of things are made out of cardboard, such as, cereal boxes, boxes for cookies and crackers and big boxes to store items.

Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

The presentation showed how cardboard can be used for crafts, costumes and even a stage for a puppet show. It can also be used as mulch. Diamond explained that cardboard does not hurt animals if they eat it.

However, Diamond said, "cold, dry, tightly stacked cardboard that's not in soil takes much longer to break down and decompose." She said that dry, stacked cardboard makes up almost half of all waste in the United States. And, only 25 percent of all cardboard in the United States gets recycled. "The other 75 percent winds up in landfills. So, please do your part to recycle cardboard," she said.

Following the presentation, the campers were treated to Rita's Ice thanks to the Smith Chiropractic Foundation [and the Berkeley Heights Charity 5K and Family Walk]. 

With a record number of registered campers, The Berkeley Heights Recreation Playground Camp offered the kids of Berkeley Heights seven weeks of old fashioned summertime fun. -- The camp is run by Director Carolyn George and a team of counselors that lead activities like running bases, capture the flag, dodgeball, World Cup soccer games, crafts, board games -- and everyone looks forward to "Wet n Wild" Wednesdays and the talent competitions. Special guests also made their stop to Playground Camp like the therapy dogs from Creature Comfort, petting zoo and last week's Environmental Commission and much more.

Visit the Berkeley Heights Recreation Website for details of the programs and events offered through the Recreation Department.

Photo credits: Bobbie Peer

Note: Upcoming Concerts in the Park held at Memorial Park from 7:30 to 9 p.m.:

August 15, The Jersey Four, sponsored by Valairco Heating and Cooling and Prestige Diner.

August 29, 52nd Street Band, sponsored by Pearly Whites Family Dentistry