ELIZABETH, NJ - Union County will be receiving $250,000 in state funds which will be used to dredge the Clark Reservoir, which sits off Lake Avenue in the township. The County is currently studying recreational usage, environmental impacts and planning to dredge the 150-acre reservoir in a master plan.

The Clark Reservoir was built in 1907 along the Robinson’s Branch of the Rahway River.  It fell into disuse by the early 1990’s. To prevent the property from being drained and sold, Clark took ownership of the reservoir.  A conservation easement was established to protect the surrounding shoreline from development forever.

The County then acquired the reservoir in 2008 from Clark for $1.  Together with the County’s acquisition of the former St. Agnes property on Madison Hill Road in Clark and the former Schwarz Farm on Old Raritan Road straddling Clark and Westfield,  the County assembled a continuous greenway that links the Clark Reservoir with other parks and public lands nearby.

Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

Greenways were a fundamental part of the original design of the Union County parks system, dating back to the 1920’s.  The Olmstead Brothers, the same firm that designed New York’s Central Park, envisioned continuous natural pathways along the county’s streams and rivers.

In addition to their public recreation and conservation roles, the greenways also serve as natural, low cost storm drainage systems.