February 13, 2014 at 9:47 AM
SUMMIT, NJ - The third strong winter storm in fewer than three weeks continues to impact the area. Summit Mayor Ellen Dickson is asking residents to please be advised of the following:
• Trash collection has been suspended. Areas of the garbage route not picked up today will be picked up tomorrow Friday, Feb. 14.
• The Transfer Station is open but will decide at 10 a.m. if remaining open through the day
• Many downtown stores will be closed today. Some restaurants may be opening at noon today, but call ahead before venturing out.
If your power/gas goes out the numbers for reporting outages are:
• PSE&G 1-800-436-PSEG
Do not assume that your neighbor has called the outages in or that the power company knows of the outages. The way to get your power restored is to make the call.
This storm has caused downed wires in other parts of the country. The Summit Fire Department urges residents to use caution around downed wires. Downed wires are a hazard. Please report them immediately by dialing 911.
Please do not call 911 if you do not have a life-threatening emergency.
• The police non-emergency is number is 908-273-0051
Our public works division was brining streets all day Wednesday, started salting roads at midnight and plowing after three-inches of accumulation. Please avoid unnecessary travel so that plows can continue to clear the roads. There is a tremendous amount of snow falling. Roads are slick and travel requires extreme caution. If possible, please stay home.
The snow is very heavy. There is significant sleet forecast for later today. Use caution when shoveling. Please follow these guidelines for snow removal:
• Please keep cars parked in driveways and off streets
• Shovel snow to the right of your driveway so plows can move it easily
• Considering waiting to shovel the last 5 to 10 feet of your driveway until snowfall has ceased and your street has been plowed from curb to curb
• Do not shovel or blow snow into streets
• Clear fire hydrants to allow for emergency access, and around storm drains
Please check http://cityofsummit.org regularly for updates and information. The City also utilizes facebook and twitter and posts often.