Updated at 12:57 a.m. Tuesday
The article will be updated with details from the Fire Department
FAIRFIELD, NJ - The Fairfield Fire Deparment met up with Fairfield Police just after midnight Tuesday morning at the Comfort Inn to attend to a small fire beneath the oven in the kitchen along with a possible gas leak. The hotel is located at 286 Rt. 46 in Fairfield.
The fire department reported to the scene after receiving a call at 12:05 a.m.; The first responders reported seeing a smoke condition inside of the kitchen and the crew was able to determine that a small fire was burning underneath the oven. While the hotel was evacuated, Public Service was notified to report to the hotel as well.
By 12:14 a.m., the kitchen gas valve had been shut off behind the stove and five minutes later the fire was completely extinguished. The Pine Brook Fire Department came to the hotel to offer assistance if needed.
Fairfield's unit employed a fan around 12:30 a.m. to get rid of any residual smoke; but the hotel remained evacuated due to the lingering gas smell. PSEG arrived at the scene at 12:43 a.m.
At this time there have been no updates from police.
You May Also Like
Tue, May 02, 8:30 am Florham Park 5th Annual Small Business Week Celebration - North Essex Chamber of Commerce