MAPLEWOOD, NJ - Adult Maplewood residents are invited to sign up for the free six-week community walking program sponsored by Maplewood Loves Wellness, which was first held last fall with tremendous success and is being offered again starting on Monday, April 28. Led by Certified WellcoachÒ, Risa Olinsky founder of Count on YourselfÔ Coaching, the program includes walking and wellness coaching sessions and a free pedometer to track your individual progress.
Maplewood residents (18 and over) are invited to register this week to participate. The application can be found at: http://www.twp.maplewood.nj.us/DocumentCenter/View/1606 or can be picked up in Town Hall, the Maplewood libraries or the recreation department. Details and instructions provided on the application.
Maplewood is a very walk-able community. The program’s goal is to encourage walking to improve participant’s overall health and well-being and while doing so, build a stronger and healthier community. “Wearing a pedometer is highly motivating – generally, we hope numbers pertaining to our health will go down, but when tracking steps our goal is for the numbers to go up,” says Olinsky.
Your participation will include the following:
· Attend an initial pedometer set-up orientation on Monday, April 28th, 1- 2 pm at Maplewood Town Hall or later on the same Monday at 7-8:00 pm at the Dehart Community Center.
· Complete an informed consent and personal goal-setting questionnaire.
· Participate in weekly walk-coaching sessions and attend two live educational presentations in Maplewood locations – all free.
· Walk on your own and record your steps.
· Report weekly steps by email or telephone to the coordinator.
· Complete a follow-up survey assessing personal goals and the goals of the program.
Participants will receive an individually programmed pedometer to use and keep as a gift. Pedometers for the program are made possible by a grant from Overlook Medical Center, Atlantic Health System and the program donated by Maplewood resident and wellness coach, Risa Olinsky.