RED BANK, NJ — As the state's count of new coronavirus cases reached its highest daily level since May, Gov. Phil Murphy extended New Jersey's public health emergency another 30 days due to the coronavirus — the eighth consecutive time.
“Today’s new COVID-19 case count marks our highest daily figure since May,” said Murphy in an October 24 statement made from his home, where he is quarantining with wife Tammy due their recent exposure to COVID-19.
“As we face a steep increase in cases, it could not be more important to ensure we have access to all available resources. Keeping New Jerseyans safe is our highest priority, today and every day. We are again extending the Public Health Emergency in order to do exactly that,” said Murphy, who reported that he and his wife continue to test negative since their exposure on October 17.
The state reported 1,994 new positive cases on October 24, pushing its cumulative total to 227,339. There were eight new confirmed COVID-19 deaths for a total of 14,492 lives lost. In addition, 868 people are in the hospital — 164 in the intensive care unit including 72 on ventilators. Another 98 COVID-19 patients were discharged.
In Monmouth County, there were 81 new positive cases of COVID-19 and no new deaths reported on October 24.
- Click here for the New Jersey COVID-19 Dashboard.
- Click here for Monmouth County’s latest coronavirus information.
- Click here for Monmouth University’s COVID-19 Campus Dashboard.
Originally declared on March 9, the executive order declaring a public health emergency was previously extended on April 7, May 6, June 4, July 2, August 1 and August 27 and September 25.
Executive Order 191 extends all executive orders issued under the governor’s authority under the Emergency Health Powers Act. It also extends all actions taken by any executive branch departments and agencies in response to the public health emergency presented by the COVID-19 outbreak, according to the governor's office.
Under the Emergency Health Powers Act, a declared public health emergency expires after 30 days unless renewed. Click here for Executive Order 191.
TAPinto Belmar/Lake Como is Belmar and Lake Como’s only free daily newspaper. Accredited by the New Jersey Press Association, it is the official electronic newspaper of both municipalities. As a locally owned news organization, TAPinto through its advertisers is able to publish online, objective news 24/7 at no charge. Sign up for its free daily e-News, and follow it on Facebook and Twitter.