SCOTCH PLAINS, NJ — With a grant from the Westfield-based Stad’s Crabfest Foundation, the JCC of Central NJ in Scotch Plains is offering an eight-week cancer exercise training/recovery program for six qualified individuals who are undergoing or recently underwent treatment for cancer.
The program, which will run from Oct. 23 until Dec. 11, will provide hands-on training with Fitness Director Debi Price, a certified personal who recently received her certification through the Cancer Exercise Training Institute as a Cancer Exercise Specialist.
Price will teach exercises designed to help heal and improve physical and emotional quality of life post-cancer treatment. This training offers patients and survivors a proactive way to better their health and reclaim their lives post cancer, she said.
According to Price, the benefits of working with a cancer exercise expert include:
- Reducing pain and fatigue
- Preventing, identifying and managing lymphedema (swelling in arms or legs).
- Increasing shoulder range of motion and correct postural deviations following mastectomy and/or reconstruction.
- Improving treatment tolerance.
- Preventing and/or managing osteoporosis, diabetes and damage to the heart and lungs following chemotherapy, radiation or hormonal therapy.
- Returning to pre-treatment levels of strength and fitness.
Individualized training in this program includes:
- Postural assessment
- Range-of-motion assessment
- Balance and core stability assessment
- Girth measurements to monitor lymphedema
- Flexibility assessment
- Heart rate measurement
- Personalized program to correct imbalances, build back strength and stamina and prevent future degeneration
For more information or to register, contact Price at 908-889-8800 x225 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Thanks to Stad’s Crabfest for giving me this opportunity to help cancer survivors,” Price said.
Stad’s Crabfest, which began as an annual gathering for family and friends and evolved into a foundation, is devoted to raising awareness and enhancing the quality of life of those affected by cancer, focusing on the journey from diagnosis through resolution. Central to this mission is an emphasis on building a positive, supportive community. Visit their website at www.stadscrabfest.org.