As the end of April approaches, we can breathe a sign of relief – the chilly winter season is officially over and the warmer months have arrived. It’s time to celebrate all that is great about Spring and Summer in NJ – spending time outdoors, enjoying the beloved shore and eating local fruits and veggies grown by the wonderful farmers of the Garden State.
Here at Just Farmed, a delivery service bringing seasonal, organic and sustainably farmed local produce to the communities of Westfield, Scotch Plains, Fanwood, Cranford, Garwood, Summit, Mountainside, Berkeley Heights, New Providence, Milburn, Short Hills, Montclair, Warren, Watchung, Roselle and Plainfield, we’re particularly excited for this new season as we’ve expanded our delivery route, are working with more farmers than ever and are offering extended box drop off times. It truly couldn’t be easier to eat local and fresh!
If you aren’t a member yet, there’s still time to sign up – just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once we reach maximum capacity, we’ll start a wait list, but will work to bring just-picked produce to as many families as possible.
Deliveries will start in May and we hope to see asparagus and ramps in our first box. These two items pair wonderfully together as a side dish, pizza topping or in a healthy egg white omelet. Whatever you chose, these farm-fresh veggies will make any dish taste delicious!
Sautéed Asparagus and Ramps
5-7 ramp bulbs with leaves (You will want to have 1 Tbsp. of the white part and 5-6 green leaves for this recipe.)
1 bunch of tender asparagus
1/2 tsp. salt plus 1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. unsalted butter
1/8 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- Rinse the ramps and cut off the roots at the end of the ramp. Pull off any papery skin. Finely chop the whites and some of the tougher green parts.
- Separately slice the leafy parts into small strips or pieces.
- Rinse the asparagus and trim ends. Place a pan or pot of water on to boil and once boiling add ½ tsp. salt. Cook the asparagus until slightly tender but still firm.
- While asparagus is cooking, put a frying pan over medium-low heat and melt 1 tsp. unsalted butter.
- Add the white parts of the ramps to the butter. Toss to coat. Cook 30 seconds. Add asparagus and toss with ramps and butter to incorporate all flavors. Add green tops of ramps and toss to coat.
- Season with ¼ tsp. salt and black pepper. Toss one last time. Serve immediately or use as pizza topping or in an omelet.
The Guest Column is our readers' opportunity to write about a given issue or topic in an in-depth and educational manner.
The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TAPinto.net or anyone who works for TAPinto.net. TAPinto.net is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer.