Law & Justice

Lansdale Woman Eludes, Assaults Cops After Speeding Through DUI Checkpoint, Police Say


A Lansdale woman allegedly sped through a DUI checkpoint in Montgomery Township, led police on a high-speed pursuit, and later assaulted officers when she was taken into custody at her Lansdale home in the early morning hours of July 20, police said.

Heather Marie Feerrar, 36, of the 400 block of Pierce Street, is charged with three counts of felony aggravated assault on an officer, one count of felony fleeing or eluding police, two counts of misdemeanor reckless endangerment, one count of misdemeanor DUI, one count of misdemeanor resisting arrest, and summary offenses of failing to drive safely in emergency response areas, reckless driving, speeding, accidents involving damage to property, failure to obey persons directing traffic, and failure to stop at a stop sign, according to an affidavit.

Feerrar posted a $10,000 bond on Tuesday, garnering her release from Montgomery County prison, according to court records.

Sign Up for E-News

A preliminary hearing is set for July 30 at 1:15 p.m., before District Judge Andrea Duffy in Montgomery Township.

Montgomery Township Police had setup a sobriety checkpoint on Route 463/Cowpath Road at Dylan Drive for both lanes of traffic between 11 p.m. July 19 and 4 a.m. July 20, police said.

At 1:58 a.m. July 20, Feerrar, driving a black 1998 Jeep Wrangler, allegedly failed to stop as she entered the checkpoint, police said. Feerrar allegedly refused to obey mini-barricades, stop signs and 20 mph posted limits at the checkpoint, police said.

Feerrar allegedly drove through the checkpoint at about 30 mph while numerous officers were present, police said.

Officer Lee Wagner, of Montgomery Township Police, attempted a vehicle stop on the Jeep while stopped at a red light at Cowpath Road and Route 309, police said. Feerrar made a right turn onto Route 309 southbound, at which point, Wagner activated the police siren, according to an affidavit.

Police said Feerrar “disregarded all efforts to effect a traffic stop” and a vehicle pursuit began.

Police said Feerrar allegedly sped in excess of 70 mph on the 35 mph-posted Knapp and North Wales roads.

At one point, Feerrar lost control of the Jeep, traveling over a curb and turfing the yard at 115 Knapp Road, police said. Feerrar left the scene, and then allegedly failed to stop at a stop sign at Knapp Road and Lansdale Avenue, police said.

Police ended the pursuit, and officers were able to obtain Feerrar’s address through the Jeep registration, police said.

On arrival at her Pierce Street home, officers found the Jeep unoccupied. Feerrar was found walking in the area of the Jeep, police said. In her hand was a key chain with keys to the Jeep, police said.

Feerrar was placed into custody, when she allegedly resisted arrest by pushing, kicking and headbutting officers, police said.

The odor of alcohol was on her breath, police said, and she was rambling to officers, making little sense. Her eyes were watery and bloodshot, police said, and she refused to make eye contact.

While at Lansdale Hospital, officers attempted to read Feerrar her Miranda Rights while she was in the patrol car, police said. Feerrar allegedly kicked Wagner’s legs through the open rear door, police said.

A Horsham Township Police officer later identified Feerrar as the driver of the Jeep that failed to stop at the checkpoint, police said.

According to Montgomery County court records, Feerrar pleaded guilty in May 2014 to summary public drunkenness stemming from a September 2013 arrest in Hatfield Township.

TAP Into Another Town's News:

You May Also Be Interested In

Sign Up for E-News

North Penn