Raritan resident Marion Boyce remembers walking out of her house on Thompson Street – and then waking up in the hospital with a respirator, and her son and daughter by her bedside.

And now she would like to thank Raritan mailwoman Glenda Mix for saving her life.

On April 23, Mix, who has worked for the Raritan Post Office for 10 years, was delivering the mail on Thompson Street when she saw one of her customers in her car. She said the woman looked like she was leaning over.

Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

“I tapped on the window to make sure she was OK, and she didn’t answer,” Mix said. “I went to the driver side and tapped on the window, then opened the door and tapped her to see if she would respond.”

“She never did, so I panicked,” she added.

Mix said the woman, later identified as Boyce, was turning blue, so she immediately called 911 and stayed with her until the Raritan Rescue Squad arrived.

“I’ve been out here in Raritan for 10 years, and every one of my customers who knows me knows I want to be honest and look out for them,” Mix said. “If I see something that looks wrong, I try to help.”

Boyce said she suffers from emphysema and COPD, and had just returned home from a stint in the hospital March 31 when this second episode happened.

“I was supposed to go to my lung doctor, and I thought I was all right,” she said. “I understand Glenda found me hunched over the steering wheel and my hand was turning blue.”

“I want to thank her, my family and I are just ever so grateful to her for saving my life,” she added. “And I’m grateful to the rescue squad too.”

From what she understands, Boyce said, she was either dead or on the verge of dying because she had no oxygen to her brain.

“I would like to give recognition to the people who saved my life,” she said, adding that her neighbor said a member of the rescue squad intubated her in the street. “It’s phenomenal how they saved my life.”

Mix said that once the members of the rescue squad and police took charge to take care of Boyce and get her to the hospital, she continued on her route. But before she finished for the day, she headed back to Boyce’s home just to check in.

“I went to the house to make sure she was OK, and was told she would be fine,” she said. “I felt very good about being able to be there and see her and make sure she got the help she needed. I don’t know how long she would have been sitting there. I was happy to find her and get her the help she needed.”

Boyce said much of that afternoon is still a blur to her, and she is piecing things together from what neighbors and others are telling her.

“I would like to know who the rescue squad people were, they didn’t leave until they knew I was OK,” she said. “They didn’t have to stay.”

Now back home, Boyce is adjusting to new portable oxygen tanks and some other adjustments to make sure she is getting a constant flow of oxygen.

“I’m kind of a proud person, and I like to do things for myself,” she said. “But I have to ask for help now, and it’s hard.”

Still, Boyce is happy to be alive and very grateful to Mix and the rescue squad for taking care of her that day.

“Raritan people pull together, that’s all I have to say,” she said.