February 5, 2014 at 1:18 PM
SUMMIT, NJ - With district schools and many businesses closed for the second time this week due to snow and ice, and another weather system on the way this weekend, Summit Mayor Ellen Dickson is asking residents to please be advised of the following:
If your power/gas goes out the numbers for reporting outages are:
• JCP&L 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877)
• PSE&G 1-800-436-PSEG
Do not assume that your neighbor has called the outages in or that the power company knows of the outages. The way to get your power restored is to make the call.
JCP&L is reporting an outage mostly in the Summit area and parts of New Providence affecting approximately 600 customers. Wires came down onto a snowplow, causing the driver to be trapped. JCP&L has crews on the scene and working with local police and fire departments to insure the safety of the driver and restore customers.
• JCP&L is providing municipalities with a status update on outages and storm response at 11 AM.
Please do not call 911 if you do not have a life-threatening emergency.
• The police non-emergency is number is 908-273-0051
Our public works division has been working almost around-the-clock, clearing our roads after what seems like non-stop, heavy snow over many days. Please follow these guidelines for snow removal:
• Please keep cars parked off-streets
• Shovel snow to the right of your driveway so plows can move it easily
• Considering waiting to shovel the last 5 to 10 feet of your driveway until snowfall has ceased and your street has been plowed from curb to curb
• Do not shovel or blow snow into streets
• Clear fire hydrants to allow for emergency access
Please check http://cityofsummit.org regularly for updates and information. The City also utilizes facebook and twitter and posts often.