February 21, 2014 at 2:28 PM
Dear Residents, Friends and Neighbors,
Today I am announcing that I am running in the June 3 primary as a Berkeley Heights Republican. The winner of the June 3 Primary will be the Republican nominee in the November election for Mayor of our town. Registered Republicans and Unaffiliated voters may vote in the June primary. I ask for your support in June so that I can continue to represent you as the Republican nominee for Mayor in the General election in November. As of this time there will be another Republican candidate opposing me in the June 3 primary.
I will leave it up to you, the people of Berkeley Heights, to select the Republican nominee rather than a committee of 19 people who vote on “who gets the line”!!
I will take my candidacy directly to the people and ask. . . Who do you want?
I will run on my record of 17 years of involvement and service to the people of Berkeley Heights. Some of the highlights are:
- Berkeley Heights just named the Safest Place to live in Union County. (Source 2/19/2014 Independent Press)
- In 2013 Our Township was voted the #6 Best Place to live in the United States, #2 in the Northeast #1 in NJ and in the Tri State area. I was presented in 2013 with the Congressman Bob Franks Memorial Award as the Outstanding Elected Official in Union County by the Union County Republican Committee.
- I was nominated in 2013 for Union County Mayor of the Year by the Gateway Chamber of Commerce for our work to successfully attract businesses to Berkeley Heights
- I was a key player in the Stop the BAC movement, preventing, through a special election, a proposed Warren Township pool from using our Sewer Plan and save that precious resource for Berkeley Heights.
- I attended a Long Hill Township Meeting and spoke in favor of stopping the ill fated “Flood Wall” that would have added to the flooding in the Riverbend section of town.
- I was instrumental along with others in to stopping the ill fated, Exit 43 I 78/ Diamond Hill Rd interchange
I started representing the people of Berkeley Heights in 1997 when I was first elected to the School Board. I have had the pleasure of meeting many of you and working with some fine people for the betterment of out Township. I have had the privilege and honor of holding most of the leadership positions in our Township from school board member, Board Vice President, Committeeman (the last one) Council member, Council Vice President, President and now as Mayor. I have had three goals:
- To represent you to the best of my ability. Keeping in mind that it is your money that funds our programs and it should be spent frugally.
- To let you know and be vocal as to what is on my mind. No backroom politics, full transparency.
- To keep my pledge: That it is ok to disagree, but never ok to be disrespectful.
I believe that I have lived up to my pledges and I ask for you support in the next 4 months leading to the primary. The Choice will be YOURS!
Joseph G Bruno
Township of Berkeley Heights, NJ
The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TAPinto.net or anyone who works for TAPinto.net. TAPinto.net is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer.