February 4, 2014 at 3:26 PM
Dear Residents, Friends and Neighbors,
As an old Boy Scout I remember the phrase “Be Prepared”. Tonight we are expecting another bout of heavy wet snow and ice. With the weight of the snow that is already on the branches, limbs may snap and power lines may come down. In preparation for the pending storm, please be advised of the following:
Governor Livingston HS will be an emergency warming and power center if you need to power up laptop and cell phones or need to stay warm.
If your power/gas goes out the numbers for reporting outages are:
JCPL 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877)
Do not assume that your neighbor called the outages in or that the power company knows of the outages. Make the call!
There is NO PARKING on Township roadways during a snow emergency. Please keep your vehicles off of the streets or you will be subject to tickets and/or towing.
There is still time to connect to Global Connect the emergency communications system. Simply go to the township website at www.berkeleyheightwtwp.com . Click on Administrative button, click on Departments, choose POLICE. Click on Global Connect and follow the simple instructions for enrollment.
Please do not call 911 if you do not have an life threatening emergency. Our non emergency is number is 908-464-1111
In case of an Emergency:
Keep flashlights and fresh batteries in your home. Avoid using candles to light your home, especially around children and pets.
Keep an emergency supply of bottled water and/or fill your bathtub with fresh water. Make sure you have fresh batteries in a portable radio so you can stay tuned to your local radio station for updates on our progress to restore power.
Keep a battery-powered radio with extra batteries on hand. Tune to a local station for current storm information.
Stock an emergency supply of convenience foods that do not require cooking.
Have a hard-wired telephone or a charged cell phone handy in the event you need to report your electricity is out. Mobile phones can be charged in your vehicle using a car charger when the power is out. If you have a smart phone, this will ensure you have access to online information sources.
Gather extra blankets or a sleeping bag for each person.
Do not use gas stoves, kerosene heaters or other open-flame heat sources to prevent deadly carbon monoxide gas from building up in your home.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and please be safe.
All the Best ,
Joseph G .Bruno, Mayor
The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TAPinto.net or anyone who works for TAPinto.net. TAPinto.net is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer. Click here to submit a Letter to the Editor.