Ardmore Lower Merion Township, PA —  It has been 20 days since a passerby reported a devastating house fire on the 500 block of Waldron Terrace in Merion Station.  Today the Lower Merion Fire Marshal's office released the cause of the fire as accidental in nature and the damage loss will be in the area of $1.3 million, a total loss.

“The cause is accidental in nature and was caused by combustible material being in contact with operating electrical equipment.  The loss will most likely be 1.3 million as that is what it is insured for and is mostly a total loss due to fire and water damage, said Deputy fire marshal Matt McGuire.

The home was undergoing a massive renovation when the fire struck.  The renovation involved adding a second floor to the one-story home. The construction had been going ongoing for quite some time, and sources say that the project was about 85% complete.   

Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

“Few if any of the contents were destroyed as the home was under renovations,” Maguire reported.

It was back on June 13 at 3:37 in the afternoon when a passerby saw smoke coming from the building and called the emergency 911 dispatch center.  “On the 500 block of Waldron Terrace, A house is on fire, reported the caller.”

When the first fire equipment arrived from the Union Fire Association’s Station 28, thick black smoke was billowing from the rooftop.  A call for help when out over the fire radio and soon at least one unit from each Lower Merion fire station went to the scene.

Narberth ambulance was called to stand by to assist any firefighter or person injured while at the inferno.

Lower Merion’s Chief Fire Officer Chas McGarvey arrived on the scene within minutes of the original call and assumed command of the scene.  Since all six Lower Merion’s fire stations were on the scene Chief McGarvey had firefighters from neighboring Haverford Township, and Upper Merion respond to various Lower Merion fire stations to provide coverage to the Township and the Borough of Narberth should another fire have occurred.

There were no injuries at the incident, and no other fires broke out while the LMFD was extinguishing the stubborn fire.

The Medics from Narberth Ambulance were released from the scene.

The last fire unit cleared the scene at 6:10 PM.

Sign up for our free e-news and get breaking news stories delivered to your inbox as they happen at from the TAPinto News Team of Lower Merion & Narberth.

Did you know that TAPinto has its own app?   Download the TAPinto App in the Google Play Store here and in the Apple Store here

Related articles:

Merion Station Home Ravaged by Fire: Passerby calls it in

Lower Merion Police Officers Receive Citation: Arsonist Arrested After Officer Witnesses Torching of a Bala Home

Handy Man Guilty in Slaying of Retired Villanova Professor

Gladwyne car accident turns into water rescue in Lower Merion.