September 20, 2013 at 12:51 PM
The long-awaited and rescheduled move of Mountainside’s historic Levi Cory House will take place the morning of Saturday, October 5, 2013. The excavator’s equipment is on site to begin work preparing the foundation for the house’s journey. The moving company will begin to ready the house for the move on Oct. 5th between 7:00-8:00am. Once on the “dolly” and ready to roll, the house will make its way north on New Providence Road toward its final destination – Constitution Plaza adjacent to the Mountainside Library and the Deacon Andrew Hetfield House. Depending upon roadway conditions and utility company activity along the way, the move is expected to be complete by noon. During the move, portions of New Providence Road will be intermittently closed to traffic. Scott Daniels, Mountainside Restoration Committee Chairman, invites spectators to watch this historic event. He recommends viewing locations on the lawn of Children’s Specialized Hospital, Mountainside Borough Hall property at the corner of New Providence Road and Hwy. 22 East, side streets and at the bottom of the entrance ramp to Constitution Plaza near the library. Parking will not be allowed in the Mountainside Library lots or on New Providence Rd. Spectators wishing to witness the move should arrive at a viewing location between 8:00-9:00am.
The property is slated to be the site of a commercial building. The historic structure (circa 1810-1818), which was most recently the home of Patterson Interiors preceded by Barrett & Crain Realtors, was originally owned by the Woodruff family who were prominent members of the “West Fields” of Elizabethtown and Mountainside communities. Levi Cory once owned the house and rented it (in 1892) to the founders of the “Children’s Country Home” as a summer retreat for inner city children. In 1962, the Children’s Country Home was renamed the Children’s Specialized Hospital – the largest rehabilitation children’s hospital in the nation. Because of its significance in the history of the Mountainside/Westfield area, the Mountainside Restoration Committee has undertaken to move the house and save it from destruction. The Borough of Mountainside has allowed the Committee to use borough-owned property located on Constitution Plaza between the Mountainside Fire Department and Mountainside Library to situate the Levi Cory house placing it next door to Mountainside’s Deacon Andrew Hetfield House – a very suitable neighbor.
The Mountainside Restoration Committee continues to rely on donations and fund raising to fund the move of the Levi Cory house, the site preparation required to permanently place it on Constitution Plaza and to restore the structure. Parties interested in helping to fund this move and restoration are asked to contact the Committee at (908)789-9420; or email: email@example.com. Donations can also be made online at www.mountainsidehistory.org; or mailed to Carol Clark – Treasurer, MRC/Levi Cory House, 308 Summit Rd., Mountainside, NJ 07092 (checks payable to Mountainside Restoration Committee). The Mountainside Restoration Committee is a 501(c)(3) charity and donations are tax-deductible. Since the Mountainside Restoration Committee is an all-volunteer committee, 100% of the proceeds will go toward costs associated with the move and restoration of the Levi Cory house.
The Mountainside Restoration Committee (aka the Mountainside Historical Committee) is a committee of volunteers governed by the Borough of Mountainside whose purpose is to maintain the Deacon Andrew Hetfield House, save the Levi Cory House and collect and save historic information and items from destruction. For further information, please call (908)789-9420; or, go to: www.mountainsidehistory.org