ROSELLE/ROSELLE PARK, NJ - A Notice issued by NIXLE and the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) in partnership with the New Jersey State Police (NJSP), the New Jersey Turnpike Authority (NJTA) and the South Jersey Turnpike Authority (SJTA) announced today that it will be conducting an emergency evacuation exercise on Thursday, July 10 to practice and refine a response in the event of a major hurricane.
No roads will be closed during the drill.
However, motorists can expect to see an increased presence of State Police and work crews along several highways and are advised to use caution on the following key Shore evacuation routes:
• Atlantic City Expressway
(entire length from Atlantic City to Washington Township)
• Garden State Parkway (mile marker 0 in Lower Township to mile marker 37.5 in Egg Harbor)
• I-195 (mile marker 6 in Robbinsville to mile marker 34.2 in Wall)
• Route 72 (mile marker 0 in Woodland to mile marker 28.7 in Ship Bottom)
• Route 55 (mile marker 20 in Maurice River to 24.6 in Millville)
• Route 47 (mile marker 16 to 21 in Dennis, and mile marker 31.8 to 35.1 in Maurice River)
• Route 347 (mile marker 0 in Dennis to mile marker 8.5 in Maurice River)
The main element of the exercise is preparing to set up a contra flow (reversing traffic on a section of roadway to travel in the opposite direction) on these highways that serve as evacuation routes for the Shore. Crews will be staging cones, barrels, and message boards in designated locations along the side of these highways, but will not be deploying the materials. No roads will be closed during the drill.
As a reminder, it is unlawful for motorists, including media, to pull off to the side of the freeway for anything other than an emergency. Media interested in more information or photos should contact the NJDOT Communications Office.
Variable message signs will notify motorists of the exercise while it is underway. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information.