As winter continues to bring severe storms to our area, the New Providence Office of Emergency Management would like to remind residents of some important safety tips:
- Use extreme caution when walking outdoors. Cars may not be able to stop quickly if the roads become slippery. Be alert when walking or crossing the streets. Please keep children off the accumulated mounds of snow. Drivers may not be able to see someone emerging from behind snow mounds or kids climbing on top of large piles of snow.
- Keep your sidewalks and walkways clear. Borough ordinance requires that all walkways be cleared of snow and ice within 24 hours after the weather event. This is critical in order to avoid pedestrian injuries and ensure that children have safe passage to and from schools.
- Remove all cars parked in the streets prior to a snow storm, so that our plows can clear the widest paths possible on the streets.
- Prepare for possible power outages – charge all cell phones; sign up for the Code Red emergency notification system (www.newprov.org); have flashlights with fresh batteries, have food that can be prepared without electricity. For more information regarding storm preparedness, go to http://www.redcross.org/prepare/disaster/winter-storm.
- Be assured that the New Providence DPW is aware of potential storms and takes immediate preparatory measures, such as brining the roads, alerting snow plowing crews, and clearing storm drains.