Police & Fire

North Caldwell Fire Department Handles Chimney Fire

Credits: North Caldwell Fire Department

NORTH CALDWELL, NJ - Just two weeks after North Caldwell Fire Chief John D’Ascensio warned of the fire dangers inherent in wintertime, a chimney fire broke out at 27 Oak Place, North Caldwell over the weekend.

According to the Fire Chief, the North Caldwell Volunteer Fire Department received a 911 call from the homeowners whose smoke detectors were going off; when firefighters arrived, they found the house filled with heavy smoke. The volunteers put out the fire in the fireplace, removed the burnt logs, and checked for any residual fire around the fireplace and found nothing.

D’Ascensio explained that the firefighters got rid of the rest of the smoke through the use of a large fan, owned by the department.  Later, the homeowners were allowed to return to their home.

Credit: Google Maps

Chief D’Ascensio commented, “The homeowners should be praised for not trying to handle the situation and called 911. It is strongly suggested by NFPA that you have your chimney cleaned yearly and remember always have working smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in the home.”

For further information:
North Caldwell Fire Department
Chief: John D’Ascensio
134 Gould Avenue
North Caldwell, NJ

TAP Into Another Town's News:

You May Also Be Interested In

Sign Up for E-News

West Essex