WARREN, NJ - Here we go again. Be prepared. The temperatures over the next few days is expected to plumet with a Nor'easter predicted including snow fall of upwards of 6 inches.
Given that the coming storm is currently predicting 6 to 12 inches of snow, and possibly a coating of ice, today might be the time to review your family's emergency plan, and then prepare. The following information is from the yellow laminated card sent to all residents last year:
Preparations for an Emergency Event:
Be ready and plan ahead: Create a Family Emergency Plan that includes what you will do if you lose electricity for an extended period of time. Have a kit of emergency supplies and needed items on hand ahead of time.
Items for the Home should include:
• At least a three day supply of water (one gallon of water per day p...er family member)
• If on well water, fill bath tubs for water to flush toilets
• At least a three day day supply of ready-to-eat, non-perishable food
• Manual can opener
• Extra cash on hand (no power=no debit machine or banks)
• Extra blankets and warm clothes
• First Aid kit
• Toiletries including disposable cleaning cloths, such as "baby wipes" for the whole family to use in case bathing facilities are not available and personal hygiene supplies, such as soap, toothpaste, sanitary napkins, etc.
• One week’s prescription of medicine
• Tools and Flashlights with extra batteries
• Battery operated radio and extra batteries
• Gasoline level at least half full in vehicles
• Special Needs items;
o Items for Infant care such as formula and diapers
o Items for Elderly family members
o Items for relatives with special needs
o Items for pets such as food and supplies
• A list of important phone numbers (physicians, utility companies,
• Important documents in a water tight case
• A backup sump pump and a backup power supply
• Up to date fire extinguishers
• Cell phones and chargers (Charge your cell phones ahead of the storm)
In case of the need to Evacuate:
• Create an emergency kit for your car with food, flares, booster cables, maps, tools, a first aid kit, fire extinguisher, sleeping bags, etc.
• Every family member should carry the following contact information:
• All phone numbers of work, school, etc., for every family member
• Reunion points outside your house and outside your neighborhood, plus the name and number of a relative who lives out of state to call in case the family gets separated