March 15, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. is a service organization founded by twenty-two African American women at Howard University on January 13, 1913. These young women wanted to use their collective strength to promote and support achievements in education by granting scholarships to deserving students.
The Paterson Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. is pleased to announce the opportunity for high school students to compete to win financial, merit, academic or book award scholarships. The application deadline is April 26, 2013.
- Must be an African-American female high school student
- Must be a graduating senior from a Passaic County high school
- Must have a minimum grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale (as verified by an official transcript)
- Must show proof of having been accepted to an accredited college or university at the time scholarship is claimed
- Must submit a completed application by the deadline of April 26, 2013
It is the responsibility of the applicant to submit a completed application postmarked no later than April 26, 2013. Please read the application carefully and be sure to submit the requested information by the deadline. Incomplete packets OR packets received after the due date will NOT be processed. Applicants must submit:
- A completed application form
- A 250 word community service essay (a handwritten document will not be accepted)
- A 250-500 word personal essay (a handwritten document will not be accepted)
- An official transcript
- Three letters of recommendation: one (1) from counselor, teacher, or school administrator; one (1) personal recommendation – someone other than a relative and; one (1) from someone verifying public service and/or volunteerism
- An acceptance letter to an accredited college or university
Applications must be mailed to:
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Paterson Alumnae Chapter
P. O. Box 2863
Paterson, NJ 07509
ATTN: Hazel Johnson