August 25, 2014 at 2:00 PM
SOMERSET COUNTY, NJ - New Driver Feedback Signs (DFS) have been added on key roads in an effort to increase awareness of speed limits and increase pedestrian safety in Bridgewater, Raritan and Somerville, the three towns part of the Regional Center Partnership.
According to a release from the county, traffic calming, pedestrian safety and bicycle safety are primary goals of the Regional Center Partnership's Strategic Master Plan. The DFS project was initiated in 2013.
A total of 12 signs are being installed throughout the three towns based on recommendations from representatives in Bridgewater, Raritan and Somerville. At this point, 10 of the signs have already been installed, four in Somerville, four in Raritan, and two of four in Bridgewater.
"Pedestrian safety is an important contributor to an enhanced quality of life," said Troy Fischer, chair of the Regional Center, in the release. "Driver Feedback Signs are a proven method of slowing traffic in residential neighborhoods and in proximity to schools. We are honored to be in a position to make our streets safer."
The partnership has allocated $65,211 for the purchase and installation of the solar-powered signs, the release said, and installation is being done through an agreement with the Somerset County Department of Public Works.
The locations for the signs are as follows:
- West High Street Eastbound & Westbound, in the vicinity of Somerville Middle School
- North Davenport Street Northbound & Southbound, in the vicinity of Somerville High School
- Bell Avenue Westbound, East of Southwick, in Raritan
- Sherman Avenue Westbound, East of Southwick, in Raritan
- Anderson Street Northbound, in the vicinity of St. Ann School, in Raritan
- Woodmere Street Northbound, north of Helene Place, in Raritan
- Country Club Road Northbound, between Gregory Avenue and Alletra Avenue, in Bridgewater (on hold because of road construction)
- Milltown Road Southbound, between Bujak Court and Shields Lane, in Bridgewater (to be installed with the County Club Road sign)
- Walters Brook Drive Northbound, between Huntley Way and Langon Hollow Road, in Bridgewater
- Vanderveer Road Westbound, between Bertran Drive and Colmart Way, in Bridgewater