Police & Fire

Police Blotter

Restaurant Patrons Become Theft Victims in New Providence

07-20-2014:  A resident of Randolph reported her nephew’s cell phone was stolen from a restaurant from the center of town after he forgot it on the counter after paying for his meal.  The theft is currently being investigated by the New Providence Detective Bureau.


07-22-2014: A resident of the borough reported his $850 pair of sunglasses were stolen from a restaurant in the center of town. He placed the sunglasses on the counter while he used the restroom and when he came back they were gone. Video surveillance captured the suspect. The suspect is described as a black female in her late 30s to early 40s. Anyone who can identify the suspected may leave an anonymous tip with the New Providence Detective Bureau at 908-665-1111. 

Sign Up for E-News



07-25-2014: A resident of Rose Avenue reported that she received a statement from PayPal indicating that she had a bill due.  She stated that she has never had a PayPal account and when she contacted PayPal they indicated that most of her information including address, phone number, and social security were correct.  The identity theft is currently under investigation by the Detective Bureau.


07-26-2014: A manager from a business on Passaic Street reported that the air conditioning disconnect switch from the external unit was stolen, causing the air conditioning to no longer work. The theft occurred between 4:00 pm on Friday July 25th and 10:00 am on Saturday the 26th.  The theft is currently under investigation by the Detective Bureau.


07-26-2014:  Patrolman Mark Pawelek arrested Mark Urness, age 56, of New Providence for driving while intoxicated, refusal to submit to breathe tests, and obstruction of the administration of the law after patrol units responded to the parking lot of a business in the center of town on a report of an individual who was asleep in his vehicle.  After completing an investigation into the report and deeming that Mr. Urness was intoxicated, Mr. Urness was arrested.   He was transported to police headquarters where he refused to submit to breath testing and was later released pending a court date in the New Providence Municipal Court.

Editor's Note: This article relies on information provided by law enforcement officials and the subjects are presumed innocent. If notified of changes to the charges or their outcome, TAPinto.net will update this report.

TAP Into Another Town's News:

You May Also Like

Sign Up for E-News

New Providence