ROSELAND, NJ - A message from Roseland Mayor John Duthie and the governing body:
Below Freezing Temperatures
"Temperatures are expected to remain in the low teens today, with "Real feel" temperatures between 0 and 5 degrees. With this severe cold you can expect frostbite within six minutes to exposed skin and hypothermia within 15 minutes. Please stay inside and if you need to go outside, dress appropriately and take extra safety precautions.
If you are experiencing problems with your heating systems, please seek alternative shelter as soon as possible. Be cautious of freezing water pipes.
Animals left outside longer than five minutes may experience frost bite as well as hypothermia just like humans. Please make sure your animals (dogs and cats) are inside your residence or at least inside of a HEATED shelter.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
If using a heater in your residence or garage, please be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas which can kill in minutes. Make sure you have proper ventilation and turn it off prior to going to bed. A carbon monoxide detector should be in the residence and should be checked to ensure batteries are working properly.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide include flu-like symptoms, red or flushed skin and headaches. If experiencing any of these symptoms, call 911 immediately.