ABC News in the New York area recently released information on an electrical shock incident which occurred in a public pool in New York. The video clip depicting the incident has caused much public concern prior to Memorial Day Weekend, opening day for many public swimming facilities throughout the nation. Earlier this week, a similar news story out of Florida which occurred in a private backyard pool has also raised concern. With Opening Weekend at the Summit Family Aquatic Center set to take place this Saturday, the Summit Department of Community Programs addresses several safety concerns parents may have in light of recent incidents, including the proper grounding of swimming pools.
Residents and members of the Summit Family Aquatic Center can rest assured that the facility is a safe summertime environment. Inspections occur annually by multiple agencies prior to receiving permission to open the facility for the season. Electrical, Health (pools, bathhouse and food concession), Fire (bathhouse, filter rooms, and food concession), and Building Inspections all occur prior to opening day. The Building Inspection must receive a Certificate of Compliance. The large serpentine slide, better known as "Big Yellow," also undergoes an Amusement Ride Inspection and is licensed by the State of NJ as an Amusement Ride. All inspections are completed with evidence of successful completion as required by law.
The Summit DCP also recently conducted an Electrical Bonding and Grounding Certification for the SFAC which is required every five years. The SFAC passed exceeding baseline requirements.
Daily and weekly inspections of all amenities on the property also take place throughout the year. The SFAC stands by its mantra... safe, clean and happy.
For more information about the SFAC, please contact the Summit DCP at 908-277-2932 or visit us online at www.cityofsummit.org/recreation.
For more information on the recent incidents as well as further pool safety tips, please visit the following link: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/kids-shocked-community-pool-caught-camera-23822795