May 12, 2014 at 7:00 AM
The Scotch Plains Farmers' Marketplace will re-open on Saturday, May 17 - from 8 a.m. - 2 p.m. and runs through the end of November.
Now in its 24th year, the market features “Jersey Fresh” produce from local farms, delicious baked goods, Italian specialties, pickles, jams, jellies, cheeses, and three new vendors. There will be free giveaways on Opening Day.
“We have criteria; not just anyone can come and be a vendor. The Farmer’s Market is a place where you can shop and get different and unusual things,” said Lisa Mohn of Apple Blossom, president of the Scotch Plains Business and Professional Association, which runs the marketplace. “Every penny that we raise is given to scholarships or to promote local businesses in downtown Scotch Plains.”
The Scotch Plains Farmers Market takes place at 430 Park Avenue in the parking lot beside the Scotch Plains Municipal Building. Some of the 2014 vendors include:
- Asprocolas Acres
- Fresh fruits, vegetables and flowers
- Backiel’s Lithuanian Bakery
- Three generations of family create these Artisan-crafted breads and cakes
- The home of farm-fresh produce grown in New Jersey, including an East Windsor farm
- Ester’s Treats
- Made with the highest quality organic ingredients, Ester’s Treats are created with the health of the consumer and the planet in mind and most importantly, with love.
- Florence Ravioli Company
- A home style deli specializing in ravioli and Italian favorites including stromboli and zucchini parmigiana.
- Gourmet Nuts and Dried Fruits
- Over 50 varieties of gourmet nuts and dried fruits. Mix and match your favorites.
- Krakus Polish Deli
- Delicious pierogi, stuffed cabbage, cabbage stew, and baked goods.
- Le Petit Temptation
- A gourmet pastry shop providing an extraordinary tasting experience combining Valrhona chocolates and the finest local ingredients possible.
- Ort Farms
- A family-owned farm located in Long Valley, NJ. The Ort Family offers seasonal products, plants, fruits and vegetables .
- Pickle Licious
- Grab some kosher dills or some other exotic pickled concoction. Don't forget your pickle on a stick!
- Stella's Empanadas
- A tender pastry that soaks up the flavor of the beef/chicken/corn/spinach fillings along with Stella’s special Argentine seasoning. Undoubtedly one of New Jersey’s top purveyors of this South American specialty.
- Tassot Apiaries, Inc./Buzzing Acres Farm
- A family-run business located in Hunterdon County, Buzzing Acres specialize in raw, chemical free, high quality honey and bee products.