January 2, 2014 at 10:43 PM
SOUTH ORANGE, NJ - District schools are closed Friday due to the snow. Maplewood township offices will not open until 11:30 a.m. Maplewod jitney service is suspended as is South Orange senior bus service. NJ Transit is cross-honoring all tickets.
Village officials have released the following statement:
A state-wide State of Emergency exists: Be advised that the SOMSD has closed schools for Friday, and all state government offices and municipal offices will be closed Friday as well.
Due to the forecasted snow, moderate/high winds and subzero temperatures expected Thursday night into Friday and Friday evening, we are advising residents to please take proper precautions:
- Pending road conditions, please be prepared not to travel on roads Thursday night and Friday morning to allow for snow cleanup and emergency vehicles.
- Ensure any heating equipment is functional this evening, and safely heat your home to warmer than usual if needed in case of power outages
- Do not use a stove or oven to heat your home, and make sure any generators are fueled and being operated correctly
Make sure all windows and doors are tightly sealed and closed. Leaks or cracks on window frames, for example, can be partially mitigated with a duct tape seal.
- Keep an eye on any family members, friends or persons with special needs, including the very young and elderly.
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they are in good working order.
- Use care when shoveling snow or doing any work outside
- Do not hesitate to contact emergency services if you believe someone might be experiencing frostbite, hypothermia or any other medical emergency. (more information on warning signs in the links below)
Visit http://southorange.org for important local emergency information and cold weather tips. You can also follow South Orange on Twitter at http://twitter.com/SouthOrangeNJ or on Facebook at http://facebook.com/SouthOrangeVillage.
If you need assistance, you may call the South Orange Police Department non-emergency number at (973) 763-3000, and 9-1-1 for any emergencies.
If your power goes out, please contact PSE&G directly at (800) 436-PSEG (7734).
For more cold weather tips, visit:
- The American Red Cross: http://www.redcross.org/news/article/Top-Ten-Red-Cross-Cold-Weather-Safety-Tips