HILLSDALE, NJ – Sparta finished third in the NJSIAA District 4 finals held at Pascack Valley High School on Saturday. Sparta put up 135.5 points bringing them in behind Don Bosco Prep with 194 and Pascack Valley with 170.
Garrett Stewart earned his 100th career win as well as being named 126 lb champion. Spenser Stewart also won the championship at 120 lbs.
Cooper Stewart, Chris Hwang and Rocco Gigantelli earned a second place.
Nick Hwang and Riley Kennedy finished in third place in their weight classes.
"We wrestled very well," Coach Frank Bataglia said. "All year we wrestled a tough schedule and talked about how it conditioned us for the postseason and helped prepare us for the tough matches. The team was excited to get after it and they did."
Sparta’s Final Round results:
- 113 lbs Cooper Stewart – lost in a 4-3 decision
- 120 lbs Spencer Stewart – won in an 11-3 decision
- 126 lbs Garrett Stewart – won with a pin in 4:45
- 138 lbs Christopher Hwang – lost in a 3-1 decision
- 145 lbs Rocco Gigantelli – lost in an 11-2 major decision
Semi-final Round results:
- 113 lbs Cooper Stewart – Pin in 1:46
- 120 lbs Spenser Stewart – Pin in 1:33
- 126 lbs Garrett Stewart – Win with a 15-0 technical fall
- 132 lbs Nick Hwang – lost in a pin
- 138 lbs Christopher Hwant – won an 11-2 major decision
- 145 lbs Rocco Gigantelli – won an 11-6 decision
- 160 lbs Riley Kennedy – lost in a 6-1 decision
Third Place Qualifiers:
- 132 lbs Nick Hwang – won in a forfeit (West Milford)
- 160 lbs Riley Kennedy – won in a 12-3 major decision