August 7, 2014 at 10:26 PM
SPARTA, NJ - Sparta Lanes will be holding a fundraiser this week-end, August 9 and 10, to benefit the family of Nicholas DaSilva. Young Nicholas is a six year-old who has been diagnosed with Burkett’s Lymphoma. He has had more than eight rounds of chemotherapy and several surgeries including a five hour procedure to remove a tumor. With the diagnosis and subsequent treatments has come tremendous medical bills.
Nicholas’ mother Patricia was put in contact Melissa and Peter Prestipino, owners of Sparta Lanes, by Dana Mastrolacasa. Mastrolacasa and DaSilva met under unfortunate circumstances; both had children undergoing chemotherapy. Mastrolacasa’s daughter Debra was undergoing treatment for Neuroblastoma. The Prestipinos had recently organized a successful bowling fundraiser to help the family with the overwhelming medical bills.
There are three parts to this week-end's fundraiser; a tricky tray, lane sponsorship and bowling. On Saturday, from 9 a.m. until closing and on Sunday beginning at noon, Sparta Lanes will donate $1 for every regular game bowled to the DaSilva family. Tickets for the tricky tray baskets will be sold at the front desk during the fundraiser. Tickets will be $1 for one ticket, 10 tickets for $5 and 25 tickets for $10.
There are many prize donations. Participants will write their name and phone number on the back of the ticket and put their tickets into a bag for the donated prize they hope to win. The winning tickets will be drawn on Monday. Participants need not be present to win.
There have been many donations including:
- Skylands Ice World,
- CKO-1 month Free Fitness Classes,
- Lia Sophia Jewelry,
- Thirty-One gifts,
- D&D’s Awesome Treats,
- Arbonne products,
- Sharper Image photo session & Portrait,
- Centre for Dance Artistry gift certificates,
- Upstream Grille gift certificate,
- The Studio at NJ Swim of Sparta – One month of Fitness classes,
- Aurora Electrical Supply gift card,
- The Fit Experience in Sparta – 3 Free months of Fitness classes,
- 60 minute massage (Two) by the Revel Salon & Spa,
- 60 Minute “Fit by D” Personal Training session,
- Headz up Salon gift card and beauty basket,
- Westy's Gymnastics & Cheer gift card,
- Mary Kay basket,
- Avon baskets,
- Toasty Noggins Cancer Care gift basket,
- Simplified Creations gift card,
- Children’s Toys,
- Wii U game,
- Knoebels passes,
- Chatterbox Gift Card,
- Lake Stockholm Dolphins Swim Team,
- Weiss Gift Card,
- Tony's Restaurant & Pub gift card,
- Headley Lumber Inc. gift card,
- Chris Nails & Spa gift card,
- Dental Cleaning at Dr. Michael Lateiner's office,
- The Nutrition Store gift card and
- "Little Tunes" Children's CD player.
In addition to the donations for the tricky tray, there are lane sponsors as well. For a donation to the DaSIlva family, they have their name on a card by one of the lanes. These sponsors include:
- Anytime Fitness (2 Lanes),
- Headz Up Salon,
- JC Shear Techniques,
- Great Beginnings Preschool and Learning Center,
- Spine Orthopedic Center of NJ - Dr. Basch,
- Dr. Michael Lateiner, D.M.D,
- Shuflat Home & Property Improvements,
- Pro Cutters, ICMS Enterprises,
- Therapeutics Unlimited,
- Aurora Electrical Supply,
- Derek Noonan, DMD,
- Lori’s Grooming LLC,
- Fit by D personal training,
- The Walz Family,
- Gene's Lawn Care,
- Dr. Michael Lateiner, D.M.D and
- The Wihlborg Family.
While doctors pronounced DaSIlva to be in remission in early May, the medical bills remain. The family is hopeful that this is the end of Nicholas’s medical crisis.
Event organizer Melissa Prestipino said,” I am touched by the outpouring of donations and support from the local community in order to help one little boy and his family with their expenses."
She added "The most amazing phone call I received was from another local family in Stockholm going through a similar situation with a son who has Leukemia, also named Nicholas. They were generous enough to sponsor a lane themselves. The most powerful bond seems to be that one family helps another, even when they are struggling themselves."