May 14, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Quick and Easy Spring Cleaning Tips
To many spring cleaning is an annual tradition. Spring cleaning welcomes a great opportunity to simply throw open the windows, let some fresh air in, while making your home clean, happy, and energy efficient.
To make things a little easier, our experts have assembled home-based tips that will help you keep your house in tip-top shape any time of year.
1. Check the flappers on your toilets at least once a year. If they are showing their age, replace them before they start leaking and wasting water.
2. Clean your bathroom fans. Take the cover off, wash it in soapy water and clean dirt off the fan blades with a toothbrush. Be sure the power is off when you do this!
3. Remove all faucet handles and clean their insides to keep the screws from corroding. Use a rust remover if necessary.
1. Before the beginning of a new season, make sure to check your air-conditioning and schedule a tune-up. An annual tune-up can preserve your system for years.
2. Check and replace your air-conditioning filters every month. There are several types from which to choose, depending on your specific model.
3. Most air conditioners have a drainage hole on the base of the cabinet, beneath the evaporator fins. This hole needs to be kept clear in order for the air conditioner to work properly. It’s a good idea each spring to use a paper clip or wire to poke through the hole and clear it.
4. To keep a dehumidifier working properly, remove its housing and let the unit dry completely. Vacuum every accessible surface and crevice.
Inside Home Tips
1. Replace the batteries in smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors twice a year: when the time changes to daylight savings time and then back to standard time. While you’re at it, dust or vacuum the detectors to keep them working at peak performance.
2. Make sure you have a fully charged fire extinguisher that you can reach quickly and easily.
3. Inspect and, if necessary, caulk around your home’s windows and doors annually. That will help keep out heat and humidity in the summer and cold drafts in the winter—and save money on your utility bills all year round.
Outside Home Tips
1. To fix a small hole in a window or door screen, dab clear household cement over the hole with a toothpick. If the screens are plastic, test the cement on a scrap to make sure it won’t melt the material.
2. Use the same technique to repair screen tears. Pull the two halves of the tear together and hold them in place with masking tape on one side. Apply the household cement to the tear, then smooth with a putty knife. When it’s dry, gently remove the tape and apply cement to the other side.
3. Clean out the gutters of winter debris and check them for damage from ice. Install gutter screens or protectors to help keep debris out of the gutters.
4. Make sure the gutters slope properly toward the down-spouts.
5. To prevent foundation erosion as well as basement flooding, build up soil around the house and slope it away from the foundation.
Call Weltman Home Services at 888 WELTMAN to schedule your annual AC Tune-up. Reference this article and receive our special $89 AC Tune-Up pricing.
Editor's Note: Weltman Home Services is an advertiser on The Alternative Press. To learn more about becoming an advertiser, please call (908)279-0303 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.