Summit Girls LAX Advances in State Tourney with 16-3 Win Over Delaware Valley; Chatham Next

Mary Fischetti scores while falling to the turf in Summit's 16-3 win over Delaware Valey. Credits: Robert Moriarty

SUMMIT, NJ - The Summit High School Girls Varsity Lacrosse Team easily advanced to the third round of state tournament play, producing a clinical effort that resulted in a 16-3 win over Delaware Valley.

Madeleine Gramigna and Sara Szynal each had a Hat Trick for the Hilltoppers, who will next face Chatham May 22 on the Upper Turf Field.  Game time is set for 4 p.m.  The Cougars advanced by edging Madison 10-9.
Summit put Delaware Valley away early, with a goal from Szynal, two from Maggie Moriarty, a three-quarter field dash and score by Callie Humphrey, and snipes from Olivia Kelly and Gramigna, giving them a 6-0 lead within the first 11 minutes.
After a Delaware Valley timeout, the Hilltoppers added two more scores, on tallies by Szynal and Meaghan Celmer, before the Terriers got on the scoreboard with a goal seven minutes before halftime.

For good measure, Summit added three more goals, making it 11-1 at the half, when Isabel Zachara scored, followed by a pair from Gramigna.
The second half began with Caroline Cranley replacing Kady Glynn in the Summit goal, and many other Hilltopper substitutions followed, as Head Coach provided playing time to the majority of the roster.
Second-half Summit goals were scored by Kelly, Szynal, Catherine Cordrey, Samantha Forsyth, and Mary Fischetti.
The score could have actually ballooned higher, and been more lopsided, if not for several fine saves by Delaware Valley goalie Hannah Oliveras, and eight goal posts and crossbars that Summit hit on the day.
On facing Chatham in round three, Summit Head Coach Mike Walsh said, "It's been a great rivalry.  I think both programs motivate each other.  We were fortunate to come away with a one-goal victory in the sectional final last year, and I know Chatham will come out strong.  We have to match their intensity."
The two teams met in Summit's first game of the season on March 28, with the Hilltoppers jumping out to a 13-4 first-half lead en route to a 18-6 win.

TAP Into Another Town's News:

You May Also Be Interested In

Sign Up for E-News