Business & Finance

Sunnyside Kids' Sale Helps Save on Back To School Costs

The 2014 Fall Sunnyside Kids Sale is slated for Sept. 19 and 20 and aims to save parents on Back to School needs. Credits: Sunnyside Kids Sale Team

The summer is almost over, and it can only mean one thing. The students in and around Lower Providence Township are headed back to school. Methacton School District will resume classes on Tuesday, Sept. 2. But, how will parents find affordable clothes, shoes, backpacks and lunch boxes? There are so many items on the Back to School list, and it is helpful to know you do not have to break the bank to get them on the bus that first day.

The Sunnyside Kids Sale aims to help township parents keep that shopping list affordable with its annual fall sale. This year’s sale will be held on Friday, Sept. 19 from 6 to 8 p.m. and Saturday, Sept. 20 from 9 a.m. to noon. From 11 a.m. to noon on the second day, all items are half off.

The sale doesn’t just save some dollars for area parents. It also gives back to the communities it is serving. The proceeds for the sale help to donate to Laurel House, a Norristown-based housing and services organization to help women and families dealing with domestic abuse.

Sign Up for E-News

Each parent that participates in consigning at the sale can choose to drop off items for a full donation (100 percent of proceeds go to Laurel House), or they can earn a little money of their own, giving 25 percent to Laurel House and keeping the other 75 percent to help defray their own costs.

The cash-only sale is held at the Valley View Community Church, located at 778 Sunnyside Ave., in Audubon.

According to the sale, those consigning (selling items in the sale themselves) must also assist with the sale by volunteering.

“Consigners receive 75 percent of the profit from items they’ve sold, and they have an opportunity to shop before the sale begins,” said the Sunnyside Kids’ Sale website. “Consigners are required to work a two-hour shift, either during set-up Thursday evening or Friday morning or during the sale on Saturday.”

Most children’s items are accepted, but the following items may NOT be sold at the Sunnyside Kids’ Sale:

·      Car seats older than five years

·      Baby swings older than three years

·      Bottle nipples

·      Pacifiers out of original packaging

·      Breast pumps

·      Crib bedding

·      Underwear out of original packaging

·      Free (McDonalds) toys

·      Any recalled items

·      Mattresses

·      Bumpers (crib)

·      Comforters

Consigners are responsible for tagging items. Tags are available on the website here.

Those interested in consigning in the sale may email coordinators at to arrange a drop-off and volunteer time.

TAP Into Another Town's News:

You May Also Be Interested In

Sign Up for E-News

Lower Providence