PLAINFIELD, NJ - TAPinto what's going on in and around town this week. Read on to learn more about upcoming Plainfield news and events. There's something for everyone!
- Join Mayor Adrian O. Mapp and city officials at a Memorial Day Ceremony as they remember the men and women who have sacrificed their lives in service to our country. The ceremony begins at 10 a.m. at city hall, 515 Watchung Ave.
- Try out simple electronic instruments at Bleep Lab, in Room 5 at the Plainfield Public Library, 800 Park Ave. At 4 p.m., for 11 to 17 year olds.
- Girls softball: a home game at 4:30 p.m. vs. Kent Place School.
- The African-American Financial Experience is an educational program hosted by Prudential Advisors. It's a no obligation, interactive financial education seminar designed to help you understand basic financial concepts like managing debt, protecting and growing your assets, preparing for retirement, and building a legacy. At the Plainfield Public Library from 7 to 8:30 p.m. RSVP to Paul Rouland Sr. at 973-637-5921 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Plainfield's League of Women Voters is hosting a Candidate Forum from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Emerson Community School, 305 Emerson Ave. Learn more.
- Girls softball: a home game at 4 p.m. vs. Abraham Clark.
- The 7th Annual PAAAS Student Art Show will be held in the cafetorium from 5 to 8 p.m., and will feature the PAAAS Jazz Project. At 1700 West Front Street.
- High School Track: NJSIAA Group Meet, at 2 p.m.
- It's Emerson Community School's 10th anniversary, and the Emerson Theatre Group will celebrate by performing The Proclamation: Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $8 for adults, and $5 for 5th graders and under. At 305 Emerson Ave.
- In a nod to Diner en Blanc, Netherwood Heights Neighbors is throwing an outdoor Spring Soiree en Blanc. The street will be decorated with string lights, and there will be flowers and candles for all tables. Music and dancing, too! This is a free event open to everyone. On Ravine Road between Berkeley and Belvidere avenues, starting at 7 p.m. For more info, email email@example.com.
- High School Track: NJSIAA Group Meet, at 9 a.m.
- The annual Rhythm & Blues by the Brook event will be held in Plainfield's Cedar Brook Park from 12 to 6 p.m., and will feature the Ohio Players, with DJ Bookeem serving as the MC throughout the day. The event will take place rain or shine, and will feature free children’s activities including inflatables, pony rides and a petting zoo. Read more.
- Zeta Phi Beta Sorority and the city of Plainfield are sponsoring the Annual Health & Wellness Fair at the Rhythm & Blues by the Brook concert venue. From 12 to 3 p.m.
- Rhythm & Blues by the Brook will feature a celebration of African-American history and culture with Know Your History, the American Legacy mobile truck exhibit. Learn about milestones and news makers of the 19th and 20th centuries, and see artifacts, memorabilia, photos and artwork on display.
- It's the 50th anniversary of National Trails Day®! The Trailside Nature & Science Center in Watchung Reservation will host four different guided hikes and an Adopt-a-Trail volunteer activity along with special programs throughout the day for all ages. Learn more here.
- Another way to celebrate National Trails Day® is to join Plainfield residents at city hall at 8 a.m. for a bus ride over to Lenape Park in Cranford. Hear from members of the Freewalkers, and kick off Jenn's Journey North with our TAPinto Plainfield Editor. You can walk 5 miles round trip, and wish her well while she continues to walk north on the East Coast Greenway to Maine.
- An encore performance of Emerson Theatre Group's The Proclamation: Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow will be held at 2 p.m.
- Union County offices in Elizabeth and Westfield will stay open until 1 p.m. to accommodate anyone seeking a vote-by-mail ballot. Voters can obtain their Vote-by-Mail Application, receive their ballot, fill it out, and cast it in a secure lock box at the Elizabeth or Westfield offices, all in one convenient “One-Stop” visit. Read more.
- The Plainfield Rescue Squad is having an Open House from 12 to 4 p.m., and you're invited! Meet the first responders, tour the building and ambulances, and learn about the EMS Cadet Corp, Auxiliary, and Explorer programs. A simulated motor vehicle accident will be featured at 2 p.m..
TAPintoPlainfield.net is Plainfield's free online daily newspaper for Plainfield, NJ news. Sign up for our daily eNews and follow us on Facebook, Twitter @PlainfieldTAP, and on Instagram @tapintoplainfield for all of your Plainfield local news.
Got a tip or an idea for a story? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.