Forty athletes from the Flyers Track Club were among the over 700 athletes that participated in the NJ Striders Track Meet at Fair Lawn High School on May 4th, 2014. The Flyers had 44 top-ten finishes and set 8 team records.
Below is a listing of all the athletes who placed in the top five in their events:
Girls 9-10 Division:
• Abigail Granrath placed 2nd and in the 1500m run and placed 3rd in the long jump
• Julia Skultety placed 2nd in the long jump
Girls 11-12 Division:
• Grace Endy placed 3rd in the 1500m race walk and 2nd in the long jump.
• Maddy Walters placed 3rd in the Turbo javelin, 4th in discus and set a record in the shot put with a 3rd place finish.
Girls 13-14 Division:
• Emily Wilson placed 1st in the 100m hurdles
• Lauren Triarsi placed 3rd in the 200m hurdles and 3rd in the 100m hurdles
• Mara Rao placed 4th in the 1500m run
• Katie Whitehead placed 2nd in the 3000m run
• Marisa Lijoi placed 3rd in the 3000m run
• Nicole Massa placed 3rd in the turbo javelin
Boys Under 8 Division:
• David Sanchez Jr. placed 5th in the 400m dash and 3rd in the long jump
• Eamon Mason placed 1st and set a record in the 1500m run and 2nd and set a record in the long jump
• Andrew Vilarin placed 2nd in the 1500m run
Boys 9-10 Division:
• Benjamin Tretter placed 4th in the 1500m run
Boys 11-12 Division:
• Ronit Rao placed 1st in the 3000m run
• Paul Koizumi placed 2nd in the 1500m race walk
• Matthew Ackerman placed 3rd in the 1500m race walk
• Will McGlynn placed 4th in the 15000m run and 2nd in the 3000m run
• Thomas Chen placed 5th in the 1500m run
• Braden Stryker placed 3rd and set a team record in the shot put and placed 3rd and set a team record in the discus
Boys 13-14 Division:
• Connor Goff placed 1st and set a team record in the turbo javelin
• Ryan Bebel placed 1st in the 3000m run
• Joshua Stryker placed 4th in the turbo javelin
• James McCutcheon placed 3rd in the 1500m run
Boys 15-16 Division:
• Dan Brody finished 2nd in long jump
The Westfield Area Y Flyers Track Club is a USATF certified club that has grown to train over 700 athletes in grades 2-8 throughout the year with programs in Westfield, Cranford and Mountainside. They offer two levels of participation - developmental and competitive.
The Flyers provide instruction and competition in events such as Long Jump, Triple Jump, Discus, Shot Put, Javelin, Discus, Sprints, Long Distance Running, Relays and Race Walking. They have sent more than 50 athletes to the National Junior Olympics and last season had three All-Americans and a National Champion.
The Flyer’s Track club is dedicated to healthy competition, teamwork and individual development. For more information contact Greg Hatizsavvas at 908-233-2700.
The summer track season will begin May 28th.