NUTLEY, NJ - As the holiday season comes upon us, and with the rise of online retail giants like Amazon, it has become important to make an effort to protect yourself from “Porch Pirates.”
Police say thefts of packages from front porches are a problem during the holiday season. As the popularity of online shopping increases, so does the increase in thefts.
Here are some tips on how to prevent package theft and deter would-be thieves:
- Track your package
- Use an Amazon Locker – when you order online, request a code, and it will be sent to your phone. Punch the code in at the locker, and then get your package. Sending packages back is safe as well.
- Install Video Doorbells like Ring or Nest
- Install Exterior Surveillance Cameras
- Use an Outdoor Lockbox – there are several types sold in-stores and online and come in various sizes.
- Use a Delivery App - FedEx and UPS have apps that allow users to reschedule and reroute packages in real time. The UPS My Choice feature and FedEx delivery Manager allow customers to make sure someone is home when the package arrives or even direct packages to certain locations (work or a neighbor).
- Alternate Delivery Address - Have a package delivered to work or a neighbor or ask a neighbor to watch out for your anticipated deliveries.
- Signatures - Choose a shipping option that requires you to sign for delivery or track the delivery status online so you can try to be home when the package arrives.
If an item was delivered and you did not receive it, report the theft or loss immediately to the original shipping company.
If your package was stolen, call the police.