LIVINGSTON, NJ — Daredevils, gamers and foodies eagerly anticipate Livingston’s Kiwanis Karnival all year long—and last week, the Kiwanis Club of Livingston delivered a festive and memorable experience for all.
Some visitors enjoyed the towering Ferris wheels and ornate carousel while others sought some thrill on the Zero Gravity, Chaos and Pharaoh’s Fury rides. Carnival-goers also wandered through Crystal Lil’s Fun House, slid down the super slide on burlap bags, flew through the air in motorcycle and airplane rides, took their chances at games and more.
In the midst of all the rides and games, the crowd on the ground feasted on carnival treats like Snow Cones, cotton candy, funnel cakes, ice cream, sausages, foot-long corn dogs, blooming onions, fried pickles, ribbon fries and turkey legs (Fred Flintstone style) as well as the standard pizza, mac and cheese, hamburger and hotdog fare.
Throughout the weekend, the Kiwanis Club also offered souvenir pictures from a photo booth with hats and other props.
On Saturday morning, the carnival was closed to the public and opened exclusively to special needs guests and their families from throughout the area for the Kiwanis Karnival’s annual ARC Day, a program of the Livingston Advisory Committee for Disabilities.
Although the Livingston Kiwanis Club has been serving community members of all ages since 1930, many are not aware of the extent of the organization’s charitable contributions. According to the Livingston chapter’s website, funds raised through events like the Kiwanis Karnival are distributed to dozens of programs and nonprofit organizations, such as:
- Sponsorship of the Livingston High School Key Club and West Orange High School Key Club
- The West Essex YMCA
- The Boy Scouts of America
- The Girl Scouts Council of Essex County
- The Special Olympics
- The Children’s Miracle Network Telethon
- The Interfaith Hospitality Network for the Homeless
- The jogging, walking track and tennis courts at Memorial Park
- The scoreboard at Livingston High School Community Field
- The Child ID program in conjunction with the Livingston Police Department
- Sponsorship of the annual Livingston 4th of July Kiwanis Swim Karnival
- Annual Livingston High School college scholarships
- The purchase of several Livingston First Aid Squad vans
- Participation in the Livingston Township fire prevention program
- Funding for the Gazebo in Memorial Park in Livingston
- Purchasing of defibrillation units for First Aid Squad & Police Department.
- Providing assistance to the Summit Speech School for their fundraising activities.
- The Alzheimer's Association
- Purchased a Mobile vision In-Car video for the Livingston Police Department
- Sponsorship of free rides, food and games for disabled children and their families at our Kiwanis Karnival ARC Morning.
- Purchasing an emergency oxygen unit for Livingston Town Hall
- The annual Blue-Red softball game for children with disabilities
- The Livingston Little League, Lacrosse and Football programs
- Donating holiday presents to children at St. Michael’s Hospital
- Donating to the Essex County Court Appointed Advocate program
- Participating in the Meals on Wheels program in Livingston delivering meals on the holidays
- Donating to the children’s section of the Livingston Public Library.
- Donating to the Children’s Specialized Hospital at Robert Wood Johnson Medical Center.
For more information about the Livingston Kiwanis Club click HERE.