The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) today announced the upcoming reopening of the I-78 westbound Express lanes, as well as anticipated eastbound Local lane closures in Union Township and Hillside (Union County) and Irvington (Essex County).The traffic pattern changes are part of an ongoing project to create connections between I-78 and the Garden State Parkway (GSP) at Interchange 142, and to rehabilitate I-78 from milepost 52.8 to milepost 55.Beginning Thursday night, September 30, NJDOT will reopen the recently reconstructed I-78 westbound express lanes. 

This will be followed by a reduction of the I-78 westbound Local lanes from four lanes to two between Ramsey Avenue (milepost 53.8) and Walker Avenue (milepost 52.7) for reconstruction and drainage work.  The westbound Local to Express crossover at milepost 53.1 will also be closed.  This traffic pattern will remain in place until early winter.On or about Friday, October 8, NJDOT will reopen the reconstructed I-78 eastbound Express Lanes.  After the Express lanes are fully reopened to traffic, final paving will take place on the eastbound Local lanes.  This work will require overnight single and double-lane closures with one eastbound Local lane maintained at all times.

Advance warning signs and permanent and portable Variable Message Signs will be used to assist motorists to safely navigate these changes.
The $121 million project, which includes the rehabilitation of I-78 local and express lanes in both directions, is expected to be completed by the end of 2011. It will provide congestion relief on local roadways, create more convenient travel patterns and improve safety and traffic flow.  NJDOT opened the new flyover ramp from the GSP northbound to I-78 westbound in September 2009. That new ramp provides direct access to I-78 westbound from the GSP northbound for the first time.  Construction continues on the GSP southbound to I-78 eastbound flyover ramp.

Real-time traffic information and construction activity updates are available online at or by calling 511.