The Township of South Orange Village Office of Emergency Management is monitoring the impending Winter Storm.
Please check the website for updated information throughout the storm.
PRECIPITATION DEVELOPING AS: SNOW ON (DAY): SATURDAY AT APPROXIMATELY: 4-6PM
PRECIPITATION CHANGING TO: RAIN BETWEEN: 10PM-MIDNIGHT ON: SATURDAY NIGHT THEN CHANGING TO: SNOW BETWEEN: 10AM-NOON
ON: SUNDAY ACCUMULATING SNOW OR SNOW/ICE OR ICE EXPECTED TO END: SUNDAY AT APPROXIMATELY: NOON-2PM
FIRST INCH ON PAVEMENT EXPECTED BETWEEN: 6-8PM
THREE INCHES ON PAVEMENT EXPECTED BETWEEN: 8-10PM
SIX INCHES ON PAVEMENT EXPECTED BETWEEN: N/A
TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION: 2 - 5 INCHES
TOTAL ICE ACCUMULATION: INCHES
TEMPERATURE AT THE ONSET OF PRECIPITATION: 33-37 DEGREES
AVERAGE TEMPERATURE DURING PRECIPITATION: 33-37 DEGREES
TEMPERATURE AT THE END OF PRECIPITATION: 32-36 DEGREES
AVERAGE WIND DIRECTION AND SPEED: S 10-20 MPH
REMARKS: 2-4 INCHES OF ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED SATURDAY EVENING, AND TR-1 INCH EARLY SUNDAY AFTERNOON. COLD TEMPS AND GUSTY WINDS ARE EXPECTED SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY.
Emergency Alerts and Non-Emergency Notifications:
The Village's Alerts & Notifications system allows residents to subscribe to our notification service for all levels of Emergency Alerts as well as subscribe to specific non-emergency Notifications covering a variety of Village services and topics. Please update and check your subscription to ensure that you are getting all requested notifications. http://www.southorange.org/610/SO-Alerts
- Saturday night into Sunday travel is highly discouraged. If you have an on street parking permit, please move your vehicle to the nearest municipal lot (preferred lot during a snow event is the Third and Valley Garage levels 4 and 5)
- If you have a fire hydrant in front of your home please keep it clearly visible and accessible as it could save your home – or even your life.
- Residents are required to clear snow as best as possible from their sidewalks within 12 daylight hours following snowfall. Do not shovel snow into roadways, as it puts emergency vehicles in danger. Please be careful when shoveling and take frequent breaks.
- Shoveling snow into the street is prohibited and will result in the issuance of a summons which will require a court appearance and fine.
- Please do not stretch extension cords across road ways as it creates an unsafe condition for you and our emergency personnel.
Municipal Offices will be closed on Monday in observance of Martin Luther King Day. Emergency Services and the Department of Public Works will continue to manage the storm.
- No Jitney Service or Senior Services on Monday in observance of Martin Luther King Day.
Third party reporting:
Please report any power outages to PSEG at: 1-800-436-PSEG (7734)
You can view the PSEG outage map: http://outagecenter.pseg.com/external/default.html
- If there are power outages, the Village asks all residents and neighborhood associations and groups to do their best to check on any residents that may be elderly or have special needs
- Emergency calls for police, fire or medical service will be triaged and high priority calls will be answered first
- Non-emergency information and requests for service can be submitted via Report a Concern at http://www.southorange.org/597/SO-Connect or by downloading the app GovAlert on your mobile phone. Understand non high priority requests may not be responded to immediately.