SOUTH ORANGE, NJ - After a two-year hiatus, volunteers are working to bring back “First Night Maplewood South Orange” for New Years Eve, December 31, 2014. A meeting for interested residents will be held on Monday April 7, at 7:30 p.m. at the Baird Center, first floor, 5 Mead Street in South Orange.
Organizers are seeking volunteers and forming committees to:
- Locate and sign great entertainment acts
- Solicit sponsors and fundraising
- Identify and coordinate providers of food for the evening
- Develop and execute the marketing and promotion plan to help ensure a great turnout
- Work with the entertainers, public safety and facility to ensure all logistics are handled
They also need volunteers who can show-up on the night of the event to collect/sell tickets, act as First Night "ambassadors", decorate/set-up and more.
First Night Maplewood South Orange was formed in 1993 to “broaden and deepen the public's appreciation for the visual and performing arts through an innovative, culturally diverse and high quality program on New Year's Eve and to offer families and the community a shared cultural experience in Maplewood and South Orange that is accessible, affordable and drug and alcohol-free.”