November 26, 2013 at 7:40 PM
WEST ORANGE, NJ - West Orange has been named as one of the top 10 towns to live in New Jersey, according to a Movoto Real Estate Blog. West Orange came in at No. 8, with Fair Lawn topping the list. Other towns include Edison, Westfield, East Brunswick, North Brunswick, Wayne, Toms River and Hoboken.
Movoto's criteria included the following determinants for inclusion on the list:
- Amenities per person (pizza places, bagel shops, and diners / person)
- Amenities total (total pizza places, bagel shops, and diners)
- Cost of living (percent above or below state average)
- Crime (percent above or below state average)
- Education (high school degree attainment rate compared to state average)
- Median Income (city’s average compared to state average)
- Home value (percent above or below state average)
West Orange met the criteria by having a "median household income 13 percent higher than the state average and a whole lot of bagels. With eight bagel shops, four diners, and a relatively small population of just over 46,600, West Orange placed well when it came to amenities per capita."
The blog went on to say "What our numbers can’t tell you, though, is just how beautiful West Orange is. It is surrounded by two large parks, the South Mountain Reservation and the Eagle Rock Reservation, and within its borders are several unique neighborhoods, many dotted with Victorian, jazz-age, and Tudor-style houses.
West Orange also boasts its own fire and police departments; a diverse and competitive school district; private schools; youth sports programs; free jitney services for commuters and seniors, and easy accessibility to all major highways, all while being within 20 miles of Manhattan.