July 23, 2014 at 6:45 AM
SOUTH ORANGE/MAPLEWOOD, NJ - The deadline for filing a petion to run for the South Orange-Maplewood School District Board of Education ends Monday, July 28, 2014 at 4 p.m., and so far only three individuals have filed to run for the three open seats in the upcoming election.
Three incumbents, Bill Gaudelli, Sandra Karriem and Andrea Wren-Hardin have each announced that that they will not be seeking another term. Only three candidates have formally petitioned to be on the ballot for the November election.
Donna Smith of South Orange, Elissa Malespina, former librarian at South Orange Middle School, and Anthony Mazzocchi, the former Director of Fine and Performing Arts for the South Orange-Maplewood School District. Malespina is running on a ticket with Smith. If no other candidates make a petition by Monday the three seats will go to these three candidates.
At this time last year there were nine candidates competing for three open seats.
Candidates filing a nominating petition for board membership must meet the following qualifications:
• He/She is a citizen of the United States of America.
• He/She must be at least 18 (eighteen) years of age to qualify for office.
• He/She must be able to read and write.
• He/She has been a resident of the municipality from which he/she is to be elected for at least one year preceding the date of the election.
• He/She is not disqualified as a voter pursuant to N.J.S.A. 19:4-1.
• He/She is not disqualified from membership for the conviction of crimes pursuant to N.J.S.A. 18A:12-1
• He/She is a registered voter in the district
• He/She needs least ten signatures, one of which may be the candidate’s, to be nominated
Interested parties can obtain a petition to file from the New Jersey School Boards Association here: