SCOTCH PLAINS/FANWOOD, NJ -- The match against Hillsborough didn't start well; the first three Raider wrestlers were pinned in under two minutes. Then, a forfeit at 126 lbs. gave Ben Root a victory and things began to change.
"We knew coming into this match that they had a strong group of lower weights," Raiders coach Marc Fabiano said after the match. "I told the guys that we need to stay focused and to continue to battle no matter what the score."
Coach Fabiano said junior Brandon Bowles helped turn things around with a big win.
"The turning point was at the 132 lb. weight class, where Brandon Bowles got a major decision against one of their better wrestlers (Joey Witcoski), who came into the match with 20 wins," Fabiano said.
Scotch Plains-Fanwood also benefited from big wins by Jack Manville (170) and Jayden Nyamiaka (160).
"They were huge matches for us. Those two weight classes could have gone either way, and our guys stepped up. Jack secured a one-point win and Jayden got a huge pin," Fabiano said. "Robert Lerner also had a very impressive win at 220 lbs. against Varun Deb, who came into the match with 19 wins. Lerner never stopped wrestling and got a takedown in the final seconds to secure the victory."
- 106 lbs.: Christopher Spinelli pinned Michael Brennan (Scotch Plains-Fanwood) at 1:32
- 113 lbs.: Cole Psemeneki (Hillsborough) pinned Kyle Burger (Scotch Plains-Fanwood) at 0:41
- 120 lbs.: Rayn Oram pinned Joey Larmore (Scotch Plains-Fanwood) at 1:47
- 126 lbs.: Benjamin Root (Scotch Plains-Fanwood) won by forfeit.
- 132 lbs.: Brandon Bowles (Scotch Plains-Fanwood) defeated Joey Witcoski, 12-0.
- 138 lbs.: Peter Quandt (Hillsborough) defeated Kyle Robinson (Scotch Plains-Fanwood), 8-4.
- 145 lbs.: Noah Samms (Scotch Plains-Fanwood) defeated Evan Karoleweski (Hillsborough)
- 152 lbs.: Anthony Robinson (Scotch Plains-Fanwood) pinned Luke Donnadio (Hillsborough) at 1:55
- 160 lbs.: Jayden Nyamiaka (Scotch Plains-Fanwood) pinned Jacob McNerney (Hillsborough) at 3:15
- 170 lbs.: Jack Manville (Scotch Plains-Fanwood) defeated Jack Miller (Hillsborough), 6-5.
- 182 lbs.: Christian Quandt (Hillsborough) defeated Robert Mehorter (Scotch Plains-Fanwood), 3-1.
- 195 lbs.: Larry Shoyoye (Scotch Plains-Fanwood) pinned Ryan Vladyka at 0:29
- 220 libs: Robert Lerner (Scotch Plains-Fanwood) defeated Varun Deb, 6-4.
- 285 lbs.: CJ Estevez (Scotch Plains-Fanwood) won by forfeit.
Scotch Plains-Fanwood wrestles a quad meet against John F. Kennedy HS, New Providence HS, and Rutgers Prep on Saturday, Feb. 15, beginning at 8:00 a.m. Seven senior Raider wrestlers will be honored during a ceremony at 12:00 Noon.
TAPintoSPF.net is Scotch Plains-Fanwood’s only free daily local news source. Sign up for our free daily eNewsletter and “Like” us on Facebook and Twitter @SPF_TAP. Download the free TAPinto App for iPhone or Android.