A Board of Education is primarily a policy setting body that acts on recommendations promoted by the Chief School Administrator (CSA) or the Superintendent of Schools. Student Achievement is a key focus against which the effectiveness of the delivery of education services is paramount and measured.
A Board Member can sometimes serve in an advisory capacity to the CSA and Business Administrator (BA) which affords an opportunity to frame and shape important issues and offer necessary perspective.
During my terms on the West Essex Board, I have served on pretty much every standing committee at least once – several more than once – and been on multiple ad-hoc committees as unique needs surfaced. I have also served in leadership roles as Chairperson of several committees and Vice President multiple times.
At the county and state level, I have served as the Board’s Essex County Delegate since 2013 and did serve as the Board’s New Jersey School Boards Association (NJSBA) Delegate-Alternate in 2017 & 2018.
Lastly, I achieved Certified Board Member (CBM) status by the NJSBA which certifies board governance skills necessary to be an effective Board Member.
Highlighted below are some of my accomplishments from my terms on the West Essex Board:
- Chaired the Finance & Physical Management Committee which produced a budget for this current 2020-2021 academic year that included a tax levy increase of 1.72% - the lowest in recent memory;
- Clarified certification declarations required of Board Members during Board Meetings as to appropriate use during and availability of sufficient funds for each academic fiscal year which is a key Board responsibility;
- Established a tracking tool to manage Board goals and critical actions and milestones throughout each academic year which was recognized by the NJSBA as a best practice shared with other Districts in NJ;
- Emphasized the strategic importance of school rankings and need to improve West Essex’s standing. I collected data, reported it to the Administration and Board which this year was incorporated as an element of the Strategic Planning Initiative that understandably was paused due to the Covid
- Supported annual assessments and reviews of our full Curriculum to ensure all students needs are supported – not just college bound, but future ready for those not going to college. The reality is not every student may go to college but we need to provide and support their development just the same.
My track record substantiates that I work to get things done and anyone who knows me will tell you I always strive to do the right thing.
I understand there are other candidates running for the Board positions to represent our Town, including some officially on the ballot and others who are not, instead pursuing a write-in campaign.
In these extraordinary and unprecedented times, I believe relevant Board of Education experience is critically important on so many fronts – especially relative to Board Roles and Board Operations which need to be understood. The risks are too great right now.
Further, being an effective Board Member is very different than being a Community Organizer. I believe the Township of Fairfield expects, wants and deserves the former and that is what I will continue to do with your confidence and vote.
If you have any questions or would like to talk, please do not hesitate to call, email, message or text me.
Your Vote for Responsible Effective Education – Sincere thanks for your consideration & support!