MORRISTOWN, NJ - Memorial Day is the unofficial start to the summer and according to AAA, 43 million Americans will kick off the summer with a Memorial Day weekend.
The near-record number of travelers is the second-highest travel volume on record since AAA began tracking holiday travel volumes dating back to 2000, trailing only the bar set in 2005, they stated in a press release. According to the agency, over a million New Jerseyans will be hitting the road for a weekend getaway. That's a 3.8% increase from 2018.
"After a winter that didn’t seem to want to quit, Americans are eagerly anticipating the start of summer, and expensive gas prices won’t keep them home this Memorial Day weekend,” said Robert Sinclair Jr., Manager of Media Relations for AAA Northeast. “Consumer spending remains strong, helped by solid job and income growth. Families continue to prioritize spending their disposable incomes on travel, and near-record numbers of them are looking forward to doing just that for Memorial Day.”
TRAVEL BY THE NUMBERS
• New Jersey – 942,395 (90.2% of travelers), a 3.8% increase from last year.
• Nationally – 37.613 million (88% of travelers), a 3.5% increase from 2018.
• New Jersey – 72,880 (7% of travelers), an increase of 5% from those who flew in 2018.
• Nationally – 3.247 million (7.6% of travelers), an increase of 4.8% from last Memorial Day.
Train, Bus, Cruise Ship or Other Mode
• New Jersey – 28,942 (2.8% of travelers), no change Memorial Day 2018.
• Nationally – 1.899 million (4.4% of travelers), an increase of 3.8% from last year.
Before heading out on a road trip, AAA recommends motorist perform any maintenance of their vehicles as well as be prepared for emergencies with a cell phone and car charger, a flashlight with extra batteries, a first-aid kit, a basic toolkit, and drinking water and snacks for all passengers.
Sign up to get all the news as it happens at www.TAPinto.net/enews and