WAYNE, NJ - On Jan. 8 at 12:36 p.m. Wayne Fire Companies 1 & 2 were dispatched to a fire alarm at Dave & Busters in the Willowbrook Mall.  

"The first arriving unit discovered a burning odor and followed the smell," said Bob Minarick, the Wayne Fire Commissioner. "When they reached the laundry room, the unit found heavy smoke and a fire that had started in an operating commercial clothes dryer."

At that time a second alarm was requested, and Wayne Fire Company 5 was dispatched to the scene.

Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

"The fire was extinguished by Wayne's volunteer fire department personnel and did not extend past the room of origin," said Minarick. "The heavy smoke condition was ventilated using multiple smoke ejector fans."

Wayne Heath Department and fire inspection were called to the scene to investigate.  

There were no reported injuries.

Of note: a party entertainer with two trained birds, that were part an event, were successfully rescued from the scene.

All fire units cleared the scene by 2:34 p.m. Five fire apparatus responded to the call with 18 firefighters.