December 16, 2012 at 12:19 AM
CALDWELL, NJ - Caldwell College Cougars Women’s Basketball team is on a roll. This afternoon, Saturday, December 15th, the Cougars definitively took out the Felician College Golden Falcons. The Cougars logged another win with this Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference game victory of 78-47 over the Golden Falcons.
Along with this conference win, came the celebration over Senior guard Torey Jones becoming Caldwell College’s all-time leader in three-pointers. She began today’s game with 200 three-pointers on her record. Jones is from Providence, Rhode Island and is majoring in Psychology. Matt McLagan from the Caldwell College Athletic Department explained, “Jones eclipsed Kirsty Leedham’s record of 202 with a trey at the 9:11 mark of the second half. She ended up with four threes on the day, giving her 204 for her career.”
With 5 minutes left in the first half of the game, Caldwell was winning 28-21 over Felician. McLagan explained: “With five minutes to play, Felician used an 11-3 run to take a 32-31 lead with 13 second left.“
Marielle Duryea, a Junior guard for the Cougars, made one of her two free-throws right at the end of the half, evening the score at 32-32. Duryea is from Middle Village, NY and is majoring in Nursing.
McLagan expressed, “the Cougars shot 50 percent from the field in the half but they committed 17 turnovers.”
With 11:23 remaining in the game, both Torey Jones and Fahime Farzanessa scored three-pointers bringing the score up to 53-39 for Caldwell. Farnzanessa comes from Cologne, Germany and is majoring in Economics.
Trina Plummer then scored for Felician, bringing the score to 53-41, still for Caldwell. She is from West Babylon, New York, and is majoring in Accounting.
“The Cougars put the game out of reach with an 18-0 spree that included two threes and eight points from Jones and four points from Duryea,” described McLagan. “Caldwell forced three turnovers and six missed shots in the run to take a 71-41 lead with 5:36 on the clock.”
According to McLagan’s records, “the Cougars ended up shooting 49.2 percent from the field for the game while committing just four turnovers in the second half. The hosts also dominated the glass, grabbing 47 rebounds compared to 33 for Felician.”
Highlighted players for this game include:
* Torey Jones scored 18 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists and 2 steals, “while making 4-of-6 from beyond the arc,” added McLagan.
* Marielle Duryea scored 12 points, and 4 assists.
* Emily Caswell scored 11 points and 9 rebounds. She is a Sophomore forward from Wakefield, Rhode Island, majoring in Criminal Justice.
* Jeanette Anderson fresh off her 1000 point victory on Wednesday, scored 10 points this afternoon, “along with eight boards,” added McLagan. Anderson is a Junior forward from Lynn, Massachusetts, majoring in Communications.
* Jessica Coscia had 7 assists. McLagan commented, “Coscia has recorded seven assists in each of Caldwell’s four wins this season.” Coscia is a Sophomore guard from Staten Island, New York, majoring in Psychology.
* Felician’s Trina Plummer scored 10 points.
The Cougars next game will be this Wednesday, December 19th, at 6pm in the Newman Center.
It’s another CACC game, this time against Bloomfield College.
Matt McLagan concluded, “With the win, the Cougars improve to 4-10 overall and 2-3 in league play, while the Golden Falcons drop to 4-7, 1-3 CACC.”
For further information:
Caldwell College Athletics
George R. Newman Center
120 Bloomfield Avenue
Caldwell, NJ 07006
Facebook: Caldwell College Athletics