Full Time Custodian
Posted March 9, 2020
Piscataway Public Library is accepting applications for Full Time Custodian to perform a variety of routine cleaning and maintenance tasks for two busy, public library buildings.
Essential Functions of the Job
- Vacuums, sweeps, and/or mops all floors
- Removes trash and litter
- Cleans all furniture, cabinets, shelving, equipment, glass, windowsills, molding, walls, etc.
- Cleans refrigerators, appliances, sinks, and water fountains
- Cleans and sanitizes restrooms
- Refills and maintains all toilet tissue, soap, towel dispensers, and plastic liners
- Shampoos and spot cleans carpets as needed
- Cleans entry windows, floor mats, and doors
- Removes litter from library grounds
- Dusts book shelves and other areas
- Removes graffiti from interior surfaces and some outer surfaces such as windows and doors
- Performs light carpentry work and makes minor repairs
- Moves and/or assembles furniture and equipment as required
- Inspects fire extinguishers and other equipment
- Fills out Safety Checklist on a monthly basis
- Sets up and puts away furniture as needed
- Prepares items for recycling
- Monitors buildings and grounds for additional maintenance needs
- Reports any maintenance issues or safety concerns to supervisor
- Completes other tasks as assigned
- Inventories janitorial equipment and supplies to maintain an adequate supply
- Coordinates supply orders with custodial assistant, supervisor, and bookkeeper
- Performs or schedules maintenance for custodial equipment
- Secures building at the end of the day
- Responds to fire and burglar alarm calls for Kennedy and Westergard
- Follows library security guidelines when working alone in the building
- Delivers interoffice mail, library materials, and supplies between Kennedy and Westergard and the municipal building daily
- Takes packages to UPS or post office as needed
- Purchases supplies locally as required
- Completes the weekly inspection report
- Responsible for getting the van inspected in a timely fashion and for having all pertinent paper work in the vehicle
- Responsible for physical care and services of the van, including, but not limited to, checking tires, lights, brakes, fluid levels and gas
- Informs Department of Public Works garage of vehicle maintenance and repair needs. Coordinates routine maintenance with garage supervisor.
Positions Requirements : Knowledge, Skills Abilities
- High school diploma or approved high school equivalency certificate
- Valid New Jersey driver’s license
- Knowledge of basic cleaning and maintenance techniques and products
- Ability to read, write, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position.
- Ability to understand, remember, and carry out written and oral instructions
- Ability to communicate clearly and courteously with library staff and patrons
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other library and township staff members.
- Requires the ability to follow hygiene, safety, and security procedures
- Requires the ability to lift, push and pull vacuum cleaner, carpet shampooer, hand truck, book carts
- Requires ability to lift and carry medium to heavy loads (up to 50 lbs.)
- Requires dexterity needed to handle tools required for repairs and assembly work as part of routine building maintenance
- Requires ability to stoop, reach, and stretch during cleaning and maintenance
- Requires ability to use step stools and ladders
- Requires the ability to drive between library buildings, municipal building, and occasionally to other destinations
The ability to work evenings, mornings, weekends on an as needed basis.
Regular schedule: weekdays 3:30pm to 11pm
Salary and Benefits
$45,260 annual salary. 11 vacation days, 3 personal days, 14 holidays, and 12 sick days.
Send letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org Applications will be accepted through March 27.
Drug screening and criminal background check are required before beginning employment. Equal opportunity employer.